Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Baldego

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2024
Hi @tsialex - I have been attempting an upgrade my 5,1 from Mojave to Monterey. I used Macschrauber's RomDump to activate EnableGop, but have run into issues. Attached are the screenshots backup and current tests, as well as the Macschrauber recommendation for a fix. Can you help?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 11.16.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 11.16.39 AM.png
    145.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 11.59.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 11.59.12 AM.png
    156.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 12.33.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 12.33.08 AM.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 35

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hi @tsialex - I have been attempting an upgrade my 5,1 from Mojave to Monterey. I used Macschrauber's RomDump to activate EnableGop, but have run into issues. Attached are the screenshots backup and current tests, as well as the Macschrauber recommendation for a fix. Can you help?

Sure, seems you did a double EnableGop injection by mistake and have a very old BootBlock. I've sent you a PM with all the info, required files, service fee and turnaround time.

Reactions: trifero

C3rium1

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2024
Hi @tsialex, I am having issues flashing my 4,1 firmware to 5,1. I am following literally every instruction available, but whenever I reboot, it boots until MacOS instead of flashing. I've tried everything, disabling SIP, resetting NVRAM multiple times, even replacing the RTC battery, nothing. I heard you were the person to talk to about this sort of thing. Apparently my MP41.0081.B08 boot ROM is the problem, but I need further confirmation. I would appreciate your help, as I am at a massive loss.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hi @tsialex, I am having issues flashing my 4,1 firmware to 5,1. I am following literally every instruction available, but whenever I reboot, it boots until MacOS instead of flashing. I've tried everything, disabling SIP, resetting NVRAM multiple times, even replacing the RTC battery, nothing. I heard you were the person to talk to about this sort of thing. Apparently my MP41.0081.B08 boot ROM is the problem, but I need further confirmation. I would appreciate your help, as I am at a massive loss.

Unfortunately, this is not news. Even if your early-2009 had an earlier BootROM version than B08, the scripts and tools for cross-flashing early-2009 Mac Pro do not work for years already and the cross-flashed are poised to brick overtime, since the tools do a very bad job in relation to the NVRAM volume and most early-2009s are now in a very bad state BootROM wise.

I've explained the issue that causes bricks with early-2009s multiple times, the most recent one here:

The real solution is the BootROM reconstruction service. I'll send you a PM with all the info, required files, service fee and turnaround time.

Reactions: trifero

Martig03

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2024
Unfortunately, this is not news. Even if your early-2009 had an earlier BootROM version than B08, the scripts and tools for cross-flashing early-2009 Mac Pro do not work for years already and the cross-flashed are poised to brick overtime, since the tools do a very bad job in relation to the NVRAM volume and most early-2009s are now in a very bad state BootROM wise.

I've explained the issue that causes bricks with early-2009s multiple times, the most recent one here:

The real solution is the BootROM reconstruction service. I'll send you a PM with all the info, required files, service fee and turnaround time.
Can I also be included by chance? I read a lot of your posts so I wonder if I can get prices and file requirements as well? I have the B08 bootrom.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016

Another completely messed up and no upgrade-able B08 factory refurbished early-2009 was upgraded without a hitch! :)

Reactions: howiest and JedNZ

Marcusmrmr

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2024

Hi @tsialex I have a 2009 MP running firmware version B07 which will not take the 5,1 update.

I have tried various versions of Mac OS (clean installs of both El capitan and Yosemite), various working CPU trays, psu's, boot drives, disabling SIP and nothing seems to work. I had an identical machine to this recently running el capitan take the 5,1 update using the same methods, however this one just doesn't seem to like it.

I am interested in your boot rom reconstruction service as I would like to have a clean boot rom and would also like to skip straight to version 144 if possible.

What is the best way to get in contact?

Cheers,

Marcus

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hi @tsialex I have a 2009 MP running firmware version B07 which will not take the 5,1 update.

I have tried various versions of Mac OS (clean installs of both El capitan and Yosemite), various working CPU trays, psu's, boot drives, disabling SIP and nothing seems to work. I had an identical machine to this recently running el capitan take the 5,1 update using the same methods, however this one just doesn't seem to like it.

Lot's of people have been having trouble cross-flashing early-2009s lately, but the impossible ones seem to be B08 factory refurbished early-2009s and not the B07 ones.

I am interested in your boot rom reconstruction service as I would like to have a clean boot rom and would also like to skip straight to version 144 if possible.

Sure, the never booted reconstructed BootROM image is always 144.0.0.0.0.

What is the best way to get in contact?

Cheers,

Marcus

I've sent you a PM (top right of the MacRumors page, letter icon) with all the info, required files, service fee and turnaround time.

Keenenkb

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2024
Sure, seems you did a double EnableGop injection by mistake and have a very old BootBlock. I've sent you a PM with all the info, required files, service fee and turnaround time.
I was led here through my research on flashing a Mac pro 4,1 to 5,1 firmware. It seems the traditional method has stopped working, and I'm told you're the guy to talk to for help with this. I've followed the steps in House Of Moth's article by the letter, but no luck. Is it possible that you could help me?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I was led here through my research on flashing a Mac pro 4,1 to 5,1 firmware. It seems the traditional method has stopped working, and I'm told you're the guy to talk to for help with this. I've followed the steps in House Of Moth's article by the letter, but no luck. Is it possible that you could help me?

Sure, even the factory refurbished early-2009 Mac Pro with B08 EFI firmware that almost no one can cross-flash it, see the posts on this page.

I'll send you a PM (top right of the MacRumors page, letter icon) with all the info, required files, service fee and turnaround time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.