Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy Slort

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
Gibsons British Columbia
Hi All

My MacPro5,1 is running 10.6.8 on one HD and 10.13.6 on another.
This is a new development since my iMac which ran High Sierra pooched and I had to put it’s HD in the MacPro which just ran Snow Leopard.
Before I start to monkey around, I’m wondering if there is an easy way to retrieve files between Systems?

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
I’m wondering if there is an easy way to retrieve files between Systems?
I agree with amaze1499 : the easiest way is to use Migration Assistant.

Note that there are other things I'd consider:
- swapping an OS installed on one Mac device to another could lead to issues (not recommended)
- When you install High Sierra by the book on a MP 5,1 , there's a BootROM update involved : MP51.0089.B00

I would recommend to do a clean High Sierra install on a wiped internal drive including the BootROM update (if this applies) , and after updating to the latest version ,including security updates, run Migration Assistant to import all your data from the iMac disk.

Usually another consideration with multiple OSes is the compatibility of the GPU with the OS versions installed (no details in your post), but since you didnt mention it, I suppose that's fine.

If you just like to import your data from the iMac disk to your Snow Leopard disk, I'm afraid this will not work because HS is a more recent OS than SL.
The other way around works fine : old OS>new OS.

Last edited:

Jimmy Slort

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
Gibsons British Columbia
I agree with amaze1499 : the easiest way is to use Migration Assistant.

Note that there are other things I'd consider:
- swapping an OS installed on one Mac device to another could lead to issues (not recommended)
- When you install High Sierra by the book on a MP 5,1 , there's a BootROM update involved : MP51.0089.B00

I would recommend to do a clean High Sierra install on a wiped internal drive including the BootROM update (if this applies) , and after updating to the latest version ,including security updates, run Migration Assistant to import all your data from the iMac disk.

Usually another consideration with multiple OSes is the compatibility of the GPU with the OS versions installed (no details in your post), but since you didnt mention it, I suppose that's fine.

If you just like to import your data from the iMac disk to your Snow Leopard disk, I'm afraid this will not work because HS is a more recent OS than SL.
The other way around works fine : old OS>new OS.
To circumvent possible issues High Sierra was done as a clean install with docs and apps migrated from back up drives.
I also did a firmware update.

Snow Leopard was the original OS on this machine. Both systems are working fine on two different drives, the start up disc is High Sierra and when I need to use my old apps I just restart and choose Snow Leopard.

Sometimes I need a file that's on my desktop or in my docs on the other system and have forgotten to put it into a partitioned drive that I call my Transfer Disc , so I'm looking for a simple way of retrieving it without rebooting into the other system.

When I had both computers running I would easily transfer data between with Users & Groups, new OS>old OS and vice versa as I still do with my old MBP.

Perhaps I just need to be more organized and always remember to put what I need into my transfer disc before rebooting.

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: KeesMacPro

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
To circumvent possible issues High Sierra was done as a clean install with docs and apps migrated from back up drives.
I also did a firmware update.

Snow Leopard was the original OS on this machine. Both systems are working fine on two different drives, the start up disc is High Sierra and when I need to use my old apps I just restart and choose Snow Leopard.

Sometimes I need a file that's on my desktop or in my docs on the other system and have forgotten to put it into a partitioned drive that I call my Transfer Disc , so I'm looking for a simple way of retrieving it without rebooting into the other system.

When I had both computers running I would easily transfer data between with Users & Groups, new OS>old OS and vice versa as I still do with my old MBP.

Perhaps I just need to be more organized and always remember to put what I need into my transfer disc before rebooting.

Thanks for your help.
Ah, I think I misunderstood the info in your post , sorry for that.

AFAIK there's no legitimate way to edit data from another unbooted OS ...

Reactions: Jimmy Slort
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.