Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

cMP4Ever

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
Hello guys,

first, respect and admiration to tsialex for time and knowledges, to this incredible post (... and to others contributors, too). I'm sorry to ask probably already answered question, but I'm close to buy another video card and I want to know if it will be usefull.

I relate only my last night try :

Context :
- cMP X5690 3,46Ghz 48Gb RAM
- APFS volume, no FileVault
- ROM 140.0.0.0 but unable to know if MP51.0089.B00 version was applied before
- ATI 5770 and Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8Gb both installed and running (will be seen by High Sierra later)

Operation :
- boot on another HighSierra, and make clean install on target volume.
- shutdown, disconnect "temporary" HighSierra HDD.
- boot on "new" High Sierra. As said, the two cards are seen by OS.
- shutdown.
- disconnect ATI 5770.
- boot again, with power button during 10 seconds to force "buuuuuuuuuh" sound. Normal "chime" after.
- black screen during all boot sequence.
- login/password (admin), "About this Mac", Sapphire is recognized.
- clean install of Mojave on another APFS volume.
- reboot.... in black screen too.
- login/password (admin), it runs like a charm...

As I am very attached to boot screen and FileVault, I decided to change Sapphire for HD7950. Vendor confirmed that two functions will be present. Geekbench Sapphire's score is 130,000 points, and HD7950 one is 82,000 "only" (ok ATI 5770 shoot to 10,500...). Needs is Lightroom and Photoshop work, so HD7950 could be sufficient... but during this post, I saw that cMP can't run Mojave FileVault, with any video card.

So, ... what are your advises ? Thank you by advance.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hello guys,

first, respect and admiration to tsialex for time and knowledges, to this incredible post (... and to others contributors, too). I'm sorry to ask probably already answered question, but I'm close to buy another video card and I want to know if it will be usefull.

Context :
- ATI 5770 and Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8Gb both installed and running (will be seen by High Sierra later)

Operation :
- shutdown.
- disconnect ATI 5770.
- boot again, with power button during 10 seconds to force "buuuuuuuuuh" sound. Normal "chime" after.

As I am very attached to boot screen and FileVault, I decided to change Sapphire for HD7950. Vendor confirmed that two functions will be present. Geekbench Sapphire's score is 130,000 points, and HD7950 one is 82,000 "only" (ok ATI 5770 shoot to 10,500...). Needs is Lightroom and Photoshop work, so HD7950 could be sufficient... but during this post, I saw that cMP can't run Mojave FileVault, with any video card.

Stick to 10.13.6 since Apple removed removed Filevault support for MP5,1 with Mojave.

Btw, unless you modified your power supply with Pixlas mod, you are overtaxing your backplane with both cards power consumption. A RX 580 Nitro+ alone can use up to 237W, while a standard MP5,1 is prepared for 225W (75W from the slot and 75W from each of the PCIe AUX)

cMP4Ever

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
Stick to 10.13.6 since Apple removed removed Filevault support for MP5,1 with Mojave.

Btw, unless you modified your power supply with Pixlas mod, you are overtaxing your backplane with both cards power consumption. A RX 580 Nitro+ alone can use up to 237W, while a standard MP5,1 is prepared for 225W (75W from the slot and 75W from each of the PCIe AUX)

Well, this problem (two cards) is solved when 5770 is disconnected ; I forgot to precise that I so use this 2nd "mini 6 pin" for Sapphire too, so she is powered by PCI slot and 2 x mini 6. It seems to be enough (as with only one, the card is full running... I plugged the second mini-6 "to be sure")

sinoko896

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2019
philippines
greetings...
finally made a jump to mojave.... everything works BUT ethernet connections is erratic! computers on the network loose connection to this macpro every few minutes. turning off sharing doesnt work, only way is to reboot the macpro. anybody with the same problem? thanks in advance

add'l info. done PRAM reset
guys? anyone can offer a solution or having same problem with LAN connections?

cMP4Ever

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
guys? anyone can offer a solution or having same problem with LAN connections?

Hello,

no problem for me after migration (this night), with huge download (last update, due to install version 10.14.0 ;)). Do you try to use second Ethernet port? (who knows, Murphy...).

cMP4Ever

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
Hello guys,

Context :

Operation :
- shutdown.
- disconnect ATI 5770.

Hello, here is what I tried last night as Mojave install:
- "MacOS" volume : everything excepted /users, no FileVault
- "Users" volume : only /users (without admin account), crypted during creation with Disk Utility

Black pre-boot screen is not solved (no expect about that...) but cMP seems to run well. Time will say more. I stay a bit worried about impossibility now to choose boot disk (during boot, with Alt key) or perform a verbose boot, and so on... I forgot : Cinebench test was surprising. ATI5770 shooted at 1610 points, and Sapphire... at 1554 points. So HD7950 purchase is still in mind (to remember : apparently 40% less performance).

sinoko896

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2019
philippines
Hello,

no problem for me after migration (this night), with huge download (last update, due to install version 10.14.0 ;)). Do you try to use second Ethernet port? (who knows, Murphy...).
[doublepost=1566531068][/doublepost]yes i tried both ethernet ports with the same results...i have PCs , Macs and a hackitosh connected to my 5,1 (server), I dont have this problem when i boot with high sierra

cMP4Ever

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
[doublepost=1566531068][/doublepost]yes i tried both ethernet ports with the same results...i have PCs , Macs and a hackitosh connected to my 5,1 (server), I dont have this problem when i boot with high sierra

Well, HighSierra so excludes Ethernet ports are faulty. Apple support could help (a bit) ? I had called them to try to understand why Thunderbolt port on my MacBookAir stops to run (7 years...), they didn't refuse to waste time. Mojave is supported ;-) so you can try ?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Official MP5,1 or 4,1>5,1?
Have you tried a clean install on a spare SATA SSD or HDD to see if it fixes the ethernet port issue at all?
Any issues with iCloud?
Have you removed ethernet from network connections completely, then reboot and add both back in?

And this is wayyyy off topic...

Reactions: crjackson2134

Condor2409

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2019
Bootrom version : MP51.007F.B03 on my 5.1 - I had install a working Mojave with this Bootrom version with the GT 120 .

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Bootrom version : MP51.007F.B03 on my 5.1 - install a working Mojave with this Boro..
Won't work, since this version don't have APFS support, follow the first post.

Today, Mojave 10.14.6 requirement is 144.0.0.0.0.

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
***HOT TIP***

Anyone with a dual ROM Sapphire Radeon R9 280X (My 5,1 see it as a AMD Radeon HD 7950 once flashed) and trying to install Mojave (I did a clean install). You need to unplug the DVI port for the install otherwise you get a black screen halfway through the install.

One of these>>>>
6210_06_sapphire_radeon_r9_280_dual_x_3gb_oc_video_card_review_full.jpg

Massive thanks to TSIALEX ;)

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
New Mojave Built: 18G95, MP5.1 Firmware is still the same:
Apple ROM Version
Model: MP51
EFI Version: 144.0.0.0.0
Date: Fri Apr 12 12:43:00 2019
Build Type: Release

cMP4Ever

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
Well, this problem (two cards) is solved when 5770 is disconnected ; I forgot to precise that I so use this 2nd "mini 6 pin" for Sapphire too, so she is powered by PCI slot and 2 x mini 6. It seems to be enough (as with only one, the card is full running... I plugged the second mini-6 "to be sure")

Hello, here next step of this marvelous adventure :)

Since yesterday evening :
- Mojave and apps installed on their own APFS volume, not crypted.
- /users*(except admin, great idea, see later why) on his own APFS volume, crypted.
- These two volumes are on the same SSD disk (and same container).
- Sapphire RX580 full-powered, one and only card running.

(*) of course, location of home directory was modified with that.

Results :
- time from "power on" to "login/password": 1'45 (...pffff... what a shame!). Just before, Sapphire fans make a peak and quasi-stop,
- trying to login as admin : no problem.
- trying to login as user (directly after boot): ... not possible :) due to disk password is required (different than user password). So, login first as admin, "/users" volume is mounting (disk password in keychain), close admin session, then user opening session runs...
- Cinebench score : 1666 pts (with ATI 5770 : 1554!!!!). Proc monitor shows full running of 12-core.
- Big photos album generated as PDF (Lightroom): exactly same time than with ATI5770 (yes I checked : "use graphic processor : YES"). Proc monitor shows 6 real cores running 100%, and 6 virtual cores running... sometimes, never up to 30% (same than HighSierra/ATI5770 case).

As there is a BIOS switch on Sapphire card, I will try next night with other position of it. Even I feel this card is faster (opening windows, surfing in Lightroom library, etc.), it has to wake up quickly to not win a one-way ticket to ebay. "Double login" is, of course, a new problem (thought to bypass FileVault impossibility on boot disk), I can't imagine use my cMP daily like that.

Condor2409

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2019
a>
Won't work, since this version don't have APFS support, follow the first post.

Today, Mojave 10.14.6 requirement is 144.0.0.0.0.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Scary ! - But it's working - res. not correct... but it's working
script>

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Why it is working here ?
a>
It's not working, it's hacked to work.

You can have a fully supported install having a METAL supported GPU and upgrading your BootROM just following the first post steps, but you opted for a hacked install instead.

Anyway, this is totally off-topic, since this is a thread for supported installs.

Condor2409

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2019
It's not working, it's hacked to work.

You can have a fully supported install having a METAL supported GPU and upgrading your BootROM just following the first post steps, but you opted for a hacked install instead.

Anyway, this is totally off-topic, since this is a thread for supported installs.

--------

OK - I got it now... ;-) thank you for your patience.. :)

stumann

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2019
A solution I found to my issue: I have a mid 2010 MP upgraded to 5,1 with an RX 580 Nitro+. The upgrade to Mojave more or less worked but then with the update to 10.14.6 I got a black screen on boot. It would boot in safe mode but not otherwise. Nothing I tried worked (reset SMC, PRAM, reinstalling Mojave, cleaning out kexts, creating a new user profile, etc). I saw a suggestion to hold the power button until the long beep - then it booted straight up. No idea why but happy it works.

greg97

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada Eh?
Having trouble upgrading out of 10.13.4, Boot Rom MP51.0089.B00. I have followed all the instructions on the first page. i have taken my SSD boot drive out of the PCIe card i had it in and installed it directly into a SATA slot in the backplane. i have removed my RX580 and installed the GT 120. I have used the link in the instructions to get to the app store and downloaded High Sierra. It takes about 12 minutes or so to do the install. My computer boots up fine but still shows I'm in 10.13.4 and not 10.13.6....what else can i try....according to the instructions i need to get to 10.13.6 before upgrading to Mojave...at least my Boot Rom is correct...

Btw, after rebooting, my SHIFT key no longer works for some reason, but only the CAPS LOCK, however it still won't let me type characters such as the question mark or exclamation point....very weird.....

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Having trouble upgrading out of 10.13.4, Boot Rom MP51.0089.B00. I have followed all the instructions on the first page. i have taken my SSD boot drive out of the PCIe card i had it in and installed it directly into a SATA slot in the backplane. i have removed my RX580 and installed the GT 120. I have used the link in the instructions to get to the app store and downloaded High Sierra. It takes about 12 minutes or so to do the install. My computer boots up fine but still shows I'm in 10.13.4 and not 10.13.6....what else can i try....according to the instructions i need to get to 10.13.6 before upgrading to Mojave...at least my Boot Rom is correct...

Btw, after rebooting, my SHIFT key no longer works for some reason, but only the CAPS LOCK, however it still won't let me type characters such as the question mark or exclamation point....very weird.....
Debug your problems starting from a clean install of 10.13.6.

Reactions: greg97

cMP4Ever

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
Hello, here next step of this marvelous adventure :)

Since yesterday evening :
- Mojave and apps installed on their own APFS volume, not crypted.
- /users*(except admin, great idea, see later why) on his own APFS volume, crypted.
- These two volumes are on the same SSD disk (and same container).
- Sapphire RX580 full-powered, one and only card running.

(*) of course, location of home directory was modified with that.

Results :
- time from "power on" to "login/password": 1'45 (...pffff... what a shame!). Just before, Sapphire fans make a peak and quasi-stop,
- trying to login as admin : no problem.
- trying to login as user (directly after boot): ... not possible :) due to disk password is required (different than user password). So, login first as admin, "/users" volume is mounting (disk password in keychain), close admin session, then user opening session runs...
- Cinebench score : 1666 pts (with ATI 5770 : 1554!!!!). Proc monitor shows full running of 12-core.
- Big photos album generated as PDF (Lightroom): exactly same time than with ATI5770 (yes I checked : "use graphic processor : YES"). Proc monitor shows 6 real cores running 100%, and 6 virtual cores running... sometimes, never up to 30% (same than HighSierra/ATI5770 case).

As there is a BIOS switch on Sapphire card, I will try next night with other position of it. Even I feel this card is faster (opening windows, surfing in Lightroom library, etc.), it has to wake up quickly to not win a one-way ticket to ebay. "Double login" is, of course, a new problem (thought to bypass FileVault impossibility on boot disk), I can't imagine use my cMP daily like that.

Last tries last night :
- switch BIOS : no change (time to boot, Cinebench perfs, Lightroom perfs, ...).
- "Y" cable (2 x mini-6 to the Sapphire's 8) : no change (time to boot, Cinebench perfs, Lightroom perfs, ...).

So decision is done, Sapphire will have a good journey on ebay and I'll buy a HD7950. Hoping it will better...

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Last tries last night :
- switch BIOS : no change (time to boot, Cinebench perfs, Lightroom perfs, ...).
- "Y" cable (2 x mini-6 to the Sapphire's 8) : no change (time to boot, Cinebench perfs, Lightroom perfs, ...).

So decision is done, Sapphire will have a good journey on ebay and I'll buy a HD7950. Hoping it will better...
You should create a thread for your upgrade journey, now you are posting totally off-topic.

Reactions: bsbeamer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.