Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

OldMacPro2

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2022
Just reporting that I carefully followed the instructions on the first post of this thread.

I have a "new to me" Mac Pro 4,1 and wanted to get it successfully flashed to the latest 5,1 BootROM.

And guess what? Following the instructions step-by-step, It Worked!

Thank you for the very helpful information.
It took me awhile to get to the next step, which was installing Mojave.

The upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave worked fine.

If I understand correctly, I would have to install Open Core to go further up the Mac OS food chain.

And do I have to upgrade the CPUs to X56xx or similar to go to Big Sur? I know this isn't the right thread, but not sure where to ask.

Thanks!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
It took me awhile to get to the next step, which was installing Mojave.

The upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave worked fine.

If I understand correctly, I would have to install Open Core to go further up the Mac OS food chain.

And do I have to upgrade the CPUs to X56xx or similar to go to Big Sur? I know this isn't the right thread, but not sure where to ask.

Thanks!
I would say OpenCore (with the guides here) is worth the update on it's own regardless of future plans. The little tweaks you can do are really handy, and it gives you better overall flexibility on GPU options. I just recently updated my copy and have plans to move further up the OS chain quite soon.

Really want to ensure I have modern browser support, so I am not fighting the same battles (with my cMP) that I do with my older PowerPC systems. Modern OS is EZ mode for all of that.

OldMacPro2

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2022
I would say OpenCore (with the guides here) is worth the update on it's own regardless of future plans. The little tweaks you can do are really handy, and it gives you better overall flexibility on GPU options. I just recently updated my copy and have plans to move further up the OS chain quite soon.

Really want to ensure I have modern browser support, so I am not fighting the same battles (with my cMP) that I do with my older PowerPC systems. Modern OS is EZ mode for all of that.
So I used Open Core Legacy Patcher to upgrade an older MacBook Pro that I had and it was very easy.

Do you think there are any issues with me using that on the Mac Pro 5,1?

filipandrei

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2021
If I already have Open Core installed (for boot screen) with High Sierra, will I need to uninstall Open Core -> update firmware -> Update to Mojave -> install again Open Core?

Last edited:

rafisofer

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2022
Hey folks - I followed the directions through step 10 (for upgrading an earlier than MP51.0089.B00 BootROM version), and everything was as expected. However, after the Mojave installer was done with the firmware update it turned out that I ended up with is 138.0.0.0.0 - and now of course the Mojave Installer (from the app store) doesn't want to work anymore. I deleted the installer but that's not been helpful.
Any advice? Can I work with that version of the firmware and just upgrade to Mojave from an installer that's not from the app store?
Thanks in advance.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Hey folks - I followed the directions through step 10 (for upgrading an earlier than MP51.0089.B00 BootROM version), and everything was as expected. However, after the Mojave installer was done with the firmware update it turned out that I ended up with is 138.0.0.0.0 - and now of course the Mojave Installer (from the app store) doesn't want to work anymore. I deleted the installer but that's not been helpful.
Any advice?

You used 10.14.0 instead of the required 10.14.6 full installer. This is clearly warned in the first post:

Download the full Mac App Store installer for Mojave. If you ever downloaded any previous version of Mojave, have it saved in any of Mac Pro external drives, you have to delete it/move to a offline disk and then restart your Mac. You need the current Mojave 10.14.5 or 10.14.6 full installer from the Mac App Store, no previous version have the needed 144.0.0.0.0 BootROM.

Download the linked 10.14.6 full installer from the Mac App Store and start the second part of the firmware upgrade again.

Can I work with that version of the firmware and just upgrade to Mojave from an installer that's not from the app store?
Thanks in advance.

Nope.

Last edited:
Reactions: rafisofer

rafisofer

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2022
You used 10.14.0 instead of the required 10.14.6 full installer. This is clearly warned in the first post:

Download the linked 10.14.6 full installer from the Mac App Store and start the second part of the firmware upgrade again.

Nope.
thanks! This is an incredible piece of work.

Nope.
thanks!

TopKatz

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
I have Mac Pro Mid 2012 with a a NVIDIA GTX 650:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.33 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 138.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 1.39f11
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11
Serial Number (system): C07KP014F4MH
Serial Number (processor tray): J511800ELCZJC
Hardware UUID: AFAABF1D-91F3-5F9D-AA59-0BDCAC52F267

Im currently on 10.14.6. I would like to get on to Monterey. My inital plan was to just use OC, but after more research its not so clear this is the right path. I think I need to update my boot ROM. Can someone help me out with an outline of what I need to do to get there? Most tutorials talk about going to 10.14.6 to flash, so I'm a little confused with what I need to do. Additionaly is my video card going to cause me issues?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I have Mac Pro Mid 2012 with a a NVIDIA GTX 650:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.33 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 138.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 1.39f11
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11
Serial Number (system): C07KP014F4MH
Serial Number (processor tray): J511800ELCZJC
Hardware UUID: AFAABF1D-91F3-5F9D-AA59-0BDCAC52F267

Im currently on 10.14.6. I would like to get on to Monterey. My inital plan was to just use OC, but after more research its not so clear this is the right path. I think I need to update my boot ROM. Can someone help me out with an outline of what I need to do to get there? Most tutorials talk about going to 10.14.6 to flash, so I'm a little confused with what I need to do. Additionaly is my video card going to cause me issues?
Please read the first post of this thread, I've asked mods to move it. All info about Mac Pro BootROM upgrades is there.

Reactions: h9826790

TopKatz

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
I think I get it, for me it looks like I need to:

1. Swap back in my OE display adapter
  2. Get High Sierra from apple and start the install
  3. Perform the flash
  4. Quit install
  5. Get Mojave from apple and start install
  6. Perform the flash
  7. Quit install

Now I could put my GTX back in and perform a open core or custom install of Monterey

The part that was a little unclear to me is that I am on Mojave already, but my boot ROM is not the correct version. Sounds like there is no easy way around going through the two steps to update it. The other nuance is using the OE graphics card.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I think I get it, for me it looks like I need to:

1. Swap back in my OE display adapter
  2. Get High Sierra from apple and start the install
  3. Perform the flash
  4. Quit install
  5. Get Mojave from apple and start install
  6. Perform the flash
  7. Quit install

Now I could put my GTX back in and perform a open core or custom install of Monterey

The part that was a little unclear to me is that I am on Mojave already, but my boot ROM is not the correct version.
Mac Pros update the firmware differently than other Macs, the update is manual. Since it was never done again, you are with the first Mojave firmware to this day.
Sounds like there is no easy way around going through the two steps to update it.
Not by the end user. You can workaround with a BootROM reconstruction service.
The other nuance is using the OE graphics card.
High Sierra, AppleOEM GPU. Mojave, METAL supported GPU, please read again the first post.

TopKatz

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
High Sierra, AppleOEM GPU. Mojave, METAL supported GPU, please read again the first post.

Unless I misunderstood I need a boot able card, my GTX is not flashed. It says "This part of the BootROM upgrade require a GPU with pre-boot configuration support. Apple OEM GPUs or Mac EFI flashed GPUs are a requirement for upgrading to MP51.0089.B00."

It obvioulsy works in 10.14.6 but I have not boot support and have a blank screen until hardware acceleration kicks in

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Unless I misunderstood I need a boot able card, my GTX is not flashed. It says "This part of the BootROM upgrade require a GPU with pre-boot configuration support. Apple OEM GPUs or Mac EFI flashed GPUs are a requirement for upgrading to MP51.0089.B00."

It obvioulsy works in 10.14.6 but I have not boot support and have a blank screen until hardware acceleration kicks in
Make a HighSierra create install media USB installer, shutdown, remove all disks from your Mac Pro except a fully erased one, connected the createinstallmedia USB installer, power on. Your Mac Pro will boot from it (only if no other bootable disk is found, USB connected drives have the lowest boot ability priority for the Mac Pro firmware).

It's the same process to clean install Mojave with a PC GPU, use the search and see how to do it. I've asked moderation to move the posts to the correct thread.

TopKatz

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
I was able to update the bootrom by just running the Mojave installer from Mojave on my 5,1. It told me to do the shutdown and then hold the power. It did its thing and I’m on 144.0.0.0 now.

Reactions: JedNZ

MacEwok

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2021
Please help me guys! I'm on Hi Sierra 10.13.6. Firmware MP51.0089.B00.
Radeon RX580 installed. I finally wanted to update to Mojave. I have Mojave installer on my desktop and when I start it, it asks me to shutdown the computer and then hold the power button and wait for the chime. This should install the new Firmware. But it doesn't for me! Any suggestions what should I do??
I even tried to unplug all the devices on my Mac. Maybe some PCIe card is messing this thing? Beside of RX580 I have flashed Titan Ridge 2 card installed and USB 3.0 card. Maybe some of these is making the problem?

I'm on Mac Pro mid 2010.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Radeon RX580 installed. I finally wanted to update to Mojave. I have Mojave installer on my desktop and when I start it, it asks me to shutdown the computer and then hold the power button and wait for the chime. This should install the new Firmware. But it doesn't for me! Any suggestions what should I do??
I even tried to unplug all the devices on my Mac. Maybe some PCIe card is messing this thing? Beside of RX580 I have flashed Titan Ridge 2 card installed and USB 3.0 card. Maybe some of these is making the problem?
There is a whole dedicated stickie thread for this topic, please start reading the whole first post, don't just skim it:

MacEwok

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2021

I'm on Mac Pro Mid-2010.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016

Please read the first post, all questions from the last four years are covered there. Read each note, see what is wrong with your set-up.

Btw, don't post on multiple threads.

MacEwok

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2021
Please read the first post, all questions from the last four years are covered there. Read each note, see what is wrong with your set-up.

Btw, don't post on multiple threads.
Sorry for posting to other thread as well. It was mistake. Wanted to delete but I think can't do it myself.

I tried all the steps in the first post. I even removed 2 other PCIe cards, reset SMC/PRAM but no luck.
I also downloaded Mojave installer again.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Sorry for posting to other thread as well. It was mistake. Wanted to delete but I think can't do it myself.

I tried all the steps in the first post. I even removed 2 other PCIe cards, reset SMC/PRAM but no luck.
I also downloaded Mojave installer again.

Being honest here, I really doubt that you have a problem not already covered on the first post. Possible, yes, but completely improbable.

Fully erase a disk, install High Sierra to it with APFS, remove everything from your Mac Pro besides the clean High Sierra install and the GPU. Revise the notes on the first post to see if you didn't missed anything, try again.

If you still can't do it, maybe your BootROM is not healthy from the start and you will need a BootROM reconstruction service.

MacEwok

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2021
Being honest here, I really doubt that you have a problem not already covered on the first post. Possible, yes, but completely improbable.

Fully erase a disk, install High Sierra to it with APFS, remove everything from your Mac Pro besides the clean High Sierra install and the GPU. Revise the notes on the first post to see if you didn't missed anything, try again.

If you still can't do it, maybe your BootROM is not healthy from the start and you will need a BootROM reconstruction service.
Oh man.. I thought it's possible to do this without clean installing the OS. At least in most YT tutorials, they are doing this successfully without clean install.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Oh man.. I thought it's possible to do this without clean installing the OS. At least in most YT tutorials, they are doing this successfully without clean install.
So, you just admitted that you did not followed all the steps on the first post, no? :p

Don't waste your time trying to do a firmware update without a fully erased disk and a clean install, too moving parts to debug/investigate.

MacEwok

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2021
So, you just admitted that you did not followed all the steps on the first post, no? :p

Don't waste your time trying to do a firmware update without a fully erased disk and a clean install, too moving parts to debug/investigate.
My question is WHY those YouTubers make it work without any clean install of HS? Here's example:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.