Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gp313

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Italy
Hi,

Is it possible to replace just one of the GPUs in the Mac Pro Late 2013? As for instance, having the original D300 in slot A (primary GPU) and the D700 in slot B (secondary GPU), or vice versa.
If so, how does macOS deals with such a mixed solution?

Thanks. Best,

Giampiero

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yes, someone done it before. It's just same as normal computer installed with 2 different GPU. No special issue. However, since one is delicated for compute only. You have to make sure you get the correct card, install in the correct "slot", and work as you wish.

gp313

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Italy
Good!! I am sorry; I was unable to find any former discussions here (nor external links) about this. Another question: Are there any reasons for preferring a D700 in the primary slot and a D300 in the secondary slot rather than that the opposite combination? Thanks again.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Good!! I am sorry; I was unable to find any former discussions here (nor external links) about this. Another question: Are there any reasons for preferring a D700 in the primary slot and a D300 in the secondary slot rather than that the opposite combination? Thanks again.

Yes, if you want to use the D700 for graphic work, it must be installed in the primary slot (I assume "primary" means the one that really connected to the Thunderbolt ports).

waltteriii

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2017
Yes, if you want to use the D700 for graphic work, it must be installed in the primary slot (I assume "primary" means the one that really connected to the Thunderbolt ports).

So if I understand correctly to use D700 for graphic work (like video editing in this case) it should be the B board? And the A board is for compute only (running the displays etc?)

So A board would be the old D300 (in my case) and new D700 would go to B board. I found this diagram about Mac Pro 6.1 wich states that the TD ports go to B board.

Thanks a lot for all the help! :) Cheers!
macpro-map.png

gp313

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Italy
Can I ask what you are planning? I'm just curious.

I would like to replace one of my D300s with a D700 in my Mac Pro (3.3Ghz 8-core). I have found a couple of D700 on eBay in Europe and I wanted to understand if such an upgrade would have been possible.
[doublepost=1504652164][/doublepost]
So if I understand correctly to use D700 for graphic work (like video editing in this case) it should be the B board? And the A board is for compute only (running the displays etc?)

So A board would be the old D300 (in my case) and new D700 would go to B board. I found this diagram about Mac Pro 6.1 wich states that the TD ports go to B board.

I found another development document here: http://devstreaming.apple.com/video...f_the_mac_pro_with_opengl_and_opencl.pdf?dl=1

Finally, by "B board" do you mean the card fitted in the so-called "Slot-2" in System Profiler (since this is always marked as the graphics card where the display are connected)?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The rendering GPU will also responsible for display as well. Therefore, GPU B actually can do ANYTHING. If in doubt, go for GPU B.

On the other hand, GPU A is for compute only. And my understanding is that the software must be programmed to utilise multi GPU. Otherwise, I believe GPU A can't even be used at all.

waltteriii

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2017
I have the same plan as you gp313, but i haven't really find any information about this neither and my knowledge pretty much ends there.

The system block diagram shows that B board holds the TB connectors and "Slot-2" in System Profiler matches this. For reference i have DELL UP2715K with 5k resolution connected to mac and it show up in slot-2.
[doublepost=1504654517][/doublepost]
The rendering GPU will also responsible for display as well. Therefore, GPU B actually can do ANYTHING. If in doubt, go for GPU B.

On the other hand, GPU A is for compute only. And my understanding is that the software must be programmed to utilise multi GPU. Otherwise, I believe GPU A can't even be used at all.

Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it a lot.

Have you come across anyone who has done this or heard will it work? I understand these card are pci-e so why would they work, but if there is some apple code that kicks in.

I did upgrade the cpu from 4 core to 12 core (Intel Xeon E5-2695 v2) wich consumes 115W so probably changing only one qpu would still keep the computer pretty cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: ikir

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Good!! I am sorry; I was unable to find any former discussions here (nor external links) about this.

Have you come across anyone who has done this or heard will it work?

The only guy I'm aware of who has done this posted here. Information is sparse though.

He actually intended to upgrade both cards, but one of the replacement cards was DOA so he swapped out the one card until he could do the second one later.

Koka016

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2020
Serbia
I have now D700 in slot B and D300 in slot A but Mac pro is freezeng once in 2 hours

Specially when I start iTunes it freezes ...

Maybe to wait to replace D300 for D500 in slot A ?

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Any other users tried? Interesting concept since many D300 send to have issues

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I think Koka016 has the right idea. If you’re going to mix them I think it would be better to have one D500 and one D700 because those use the same Tahiti driver. D300 has a separate Pitcairn driver. Of course best option is to sell the current system and buy one that has two D700s.

Reactions: ikir

aldergood

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2023
Hi @gp313, I also mixed the d300 with d500 but under System Report - Hardware - Graphic/Displays, I can only see 1 card. How many card can you see under Graphic/Display that we can see, do you know?

Can you capture a screenshot of it?

gp313

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Italy
Hi @gp313, I also mixed the d300 with d500 but under System Report - Hardware - Graphic/Displays, I can only see 1 card. How many card can you see under Graphic/Display that we can see, do you know?

Can you capture a screenshot of it?
I am sorry, but I sold my MacPro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.