Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
I know most of us here on the boards are male, but Arn, please, do we have to have this? :rolleyes: :)

Attachments

• Picture 21.jpg
    Picture 21.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 249

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Arn does have a way of screening the Ads that are displayed. He requested that he just be notified with the Ad name and a photo, and he could remove it. I would try PMing him. (Because he's pretty busy)

But I agree.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
yeah...we've got some youngsters on this thread...I'd rather not have them exposed to this kind of material.

Attachments

• mrs04002_quot_wnew_468X60.gif
    mrs04002_quot_wnew_468X60.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 222

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I haven't been seeing those ones, but lots of true.com. I don't find them objectionable or anything, but "all our members are paranoid" is a weird premise for a dating service.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
sethypoo said:
I know most of us here on the boards are male, but Arn, please, do we have to have this? :rolleyes: :)

it's been blocked.

arn

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
GAIN/Gator

Arn, what's up with the GAIN ads? I certainly started coming here less during the day because it keeps prompting me to install its spyware (Gator) on my machine. Blech.

That aside, macrumors is a great site. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into it.

-p

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
psxndc said:
Arn, what's up with the GAIN ads? I certainly started coming here less during the day because it keeps prompting me to install its spyware (Gator) on my machine. Blech.

That aside, macrumors is a great site. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into it.

-p

Screenshot, url?

arn

PixelGlitch

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2004
Los Angeles
arn said:
think I got rid of it

arn

It's still lingering. Just got prompted to install this morning. I suppose it's nothing more than a nuisance since most visitors here know better than to install that garbage. Thanks for checking it out.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 155

sgarringer

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
arn said:
think I got rid of it

arn

they're still around and are most annoying. its fine on my mac, but at work i have to use PC and its kinda a pain.

unrelated subject, why do a lot of pages on MacRumors stall while loading and you have to hit STOP and then REFRESH to get the page loaded? is the server in need of repair?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
sgarringer said:
why do a lot of pages on MacRumors stall while loading and you have to hit STOP and then REFRESH to get the page loaded? is the server in need of repair?
If you are using Safari, open the Activity window (command-option-A) and you should be able to see the URL of the item that is taking too long. I'm not sure what to do about the problem once you know, but that's where to start, because it will tell you which site is stallling. You should see something like "0 bytes of ?" next to the guilty URL. I'm guessing it'll be from an ad site, not from MacRumors itself.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
sgarringer said:
unrelated subject, why do a lot of pages on MacRumors stall while loading and you have to hit STOP and then REFRESH to get the page loaded? is the server in need of repair?
I'm betting (no real money) that Tribalfusion's banner ads aren't loading properly, specifically, because when attempting to reach Tribalfusion sometimes, it keeps trying to connect and connect, eventually "timing out," and only then will the rest of the page load. It's not happening to me now, but it's happened to me three times in the past on MacRumors.

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
Dear arn...

arn said:
think I got rid of it

arn

Dear arn,
You are a god.

Sincerely,
psxndc

Seriously, I was busy today so I didn't check from work. They have our machines completely locked down so getting a screenshot is no go (they've disabled shift-printscreen). As for URL, it was just the homepage, nothing fancy.

:)

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
PixelGlitch said:
It's still lingering. Just got prompted to install this morning. I suppose it's nothing more than a nuisance since most visitors here know better than to install that garbage. Thanks for checking it out.

Oh... I didn't realize it was the add banners causing those installer windows to pop up. It actually quite lowered my opinion of this site. No web site should run an installer uninvited I don't think. I thought it was MacRumors doing it though, not the adds.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
sgarringer said:
they're still around and are most annoying. its fine on my mac, but at work i have to use PC and its kinda a pain.

I've been experiencing more frequent "Server is busy" error messages from the forums, than usual. And it's specifically the forums: The home page seems to be able to handle the requests just fine, but methinks that the forums are outgrowing the server. It's just a nuisance now, but as the community grows even larger, I could see it as being a bigger problem.

Hopefully, the number of Demi-Gods/Goddesses will increase proportionally (or exponentially! :D ) with the growing demands...And hopefully, cheapskates like me who visit and post a lot will find the cash to contribute. ;)

On second thought, we better just hope for the proportional increase... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.