Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How do you opt out. Is there a way. The home page is still white but the forums are dark. How do you transition back...?
Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 4.54.03 AM.png

Scroll down to the very bottom right of the forum page and pick your theme. You can see mine set to light there.

Reactions: xalea

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I’m digging today’s change to light green.

I would've preferred a subtle grey, like the color used for the forum names or the share links. The post separator doesn't have to stand out so much because it's obvious every time you see an avatar that it's a different post.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I would've preferred a subtle grey, like the color used for the forum names or the share links. The post separator doesn't have to stand out so much because it's obvious every time you see an avatar that it's a different post.
I think I’d prefer it about half the width it is now. Gray would probably look ok as well.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I like it, MUCH better than it was yesterday.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
The dark mode is a disaster. I’ve selected light and the forum periodically switches to dark, but not completely. Like a glitchy chameleon. I have to switch to dark and back to fix it.

Reactions: xalea

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
I think it’s cool. Not sure I will use it because when I surf to other websites, they are so bright white in comparison. I don’t like the contrast.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Awesome dark mode look.. The icon (when clicked) are a nice touch.

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 11.39.13 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 11.39.14 am.png

Last edited:

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Major bugs in dark mode still. Set to light but parts of the forum page mysteriously switch to dark randomly on their own. Page will look half and half until reloaded. Looks bad.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Major bugs in dark mode still. Set to light but parts of the forum page mysteriously switch to dark randomly on their own. Page will look half and half until reloaded. Looks bad.
Have a look at this post, and the one it quotes.

Creole Ned

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2017
Is there a way to turn off dark mode for the main MacRumors site (not the forum)? I only see options for Mobile, Fixed, Fluid and Fluid HD. It abruptly switched for me one day and I see no way to go back to the light version (apart from turning off the dark mode at the OS level).

EDIT: I see the ability to switch between light and dark is being added, possibly as soon as today.

Last edited:

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
I love the dark red for the title headers in Safari (desktop and iOS), but in Firefox Mobile (iOS) they're light pink. ...not that I'm using Firefox anymore, not that Bitwarden is fixed in Safari 13 desktop. But, other people might be.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I've put in place a working solution for now.

These links are now in the footer of www: Light | Dark | Auto

And will do what they say.

Known issues:

- Doesn't work with forums. To force forums to take a mode, you need to set forums with the Style setting at the bottom of the forums page.
- There is a "flash" of white or dark when your cookie settings don't match your OS settings.

But it should work. Let me know...
arn

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
when replying on the forum in dark mode, I get white ltters on white backgound

I am basically typing blind

let's post and see what I just wrote

(I am using Safari)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.