Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Really?
Can you tell any reason for this?
Shipping does change the place where the seepstake takes the place.
This is well covered in the thread already with links to websites where you can find more information. Giveaways and prize contests are a very sensitive issue, given that every country has different laws and rules both in terms of government regulations, licenses, taxation, and privacy laws. Think about when you ship a package internationally. You need a customs form to declare the contents and cost of what you're shipping. It has much less to do with where the sweepstakes takes place, but rather where the prizes are going and what that country's laws are for international giveaways. MacRumors could hire an independent firm (there are many that specialize in handling the mounds of regulatory information) but they've obviously chosen the much simpler (and cheaper) route in restricting giveaways to US residents.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Really?
Can you tell any reason for this?
Shipping does change the place where the seepstake takes the place.
Exactly!

1. It isn't a sweepstake. That's a form of gambling. This is just 'sending a gift'. There's no statutory definition of a 'giveaway' because they aren't regulated.

2. YouTube, Facebook, Android Authority...etc all do international giveaways. MR just has this weird hang-up because Quebec requested the rules to the contest in French (so they took the flamethrower approach of stopped all international giveaways).

giveaways and prize contests are a very sensitive issue, given that every country has different laws

Nah, foreign laws don't apply.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Another example... a promo for Suicide Squad just popped up on Facebook. It's global and you can win some Suicide Squad merch by telling them who your favourite character is (see what they did there just to make sure it's not a 'sweepstake'?)

According to Arnold Kim this is illegal under 'international law' though. Quick! POLICE!!!! :p

Maybe I should compile a list to make it clear that global giveaways are definitely possible and widespread?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Another example... a promo for Suicide Squad just popped up on Facebook. It's global and you can win some Suicide Squad merch by telling them who your favourite character is (see what they did there just to make sure it's not a 'sweepstake'?)

According to Arnold Kim this is illegal under 'international law' though. Quick! POLICE!!!! :p

Maybe I should compile a list to make it clear that global giveaways are definitely possible and widespread?
Hyperbole much?

A) was this an official Facebook thing or just a post?
B) No one ever said they were illegal.

If the answer to A) is "Facebook" then remember they're a huge company with international outreach everywhere. If it's a post then your point is meaningless.

As has been stated any number of times, MR have made the corporate decision to not risk antagonizing other markets. It's @arn's choice as a business owner to decide to follow these international rules, and this is apparently his decision.

You're more than welcome to create your own business and make up your rules.

Reactions: sman789

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
This question comes up occasionally and it popped up again today from a TVWB Facebook follower.

I run these prize drawings throughout the year as a way of saying "thanks" to all of the great people who visit and support TVWB and TVWBB. Unfortunately, I do not accept entries from outside the United States for several reasons:
  • Contests/prize drawings/sweepstakes are heavily regulated in many countries. I barely understand the laws here in the U.S., its 50 states and Washington, DC much less in Canada, the U.K., Norway, Australia, etc. I'm not sure it's possible to develop a prize drawing that complies with all laws in all countries so that everyone can participate.
  • Shipping physical prizes outside the U.S. costs more money and involves customs paperwork, and not all prize sponsors are willing to ship internationally.
  • Offering gift certificates outside the U.S. can be complicated. For example, last time I checked, an Amazon.com gift card that I purchase in the U.S. cannot be spent on Amazon.uk or Amazon.de. The winner ends up using the card on Amazon.com and may have to pay high international shipping charges and in some cases duties and taxes upon receipt. Also, it's a hassle trying to purchase gift cards in foreign currency using a U.S. credit card and then paying a currency conversion fee that increases the cost of the prize to me.
I know this is disappointing to some members, but please know that I appreciate you and your understanding in this matter. I hope you continue find the free content offered on TVWB and TVWBB to be valuable.

Best,
Chris

Here is a post on a barbecue forum I frequent and their policy is pretty much the same as MR and for the same reasons.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Hyperbole much?

As has been stated any number of times, MR have made the corporate decision to not risk antagonizing other markets.
You're more than welcome to create your own business and make up your rules.
1. No it's not an exaggeration. If enforcement agencies were gonna target somebody it would be a big player, not some random computer blog giving away $20 gimmicks. The fact that Facebook and a major movie studio can give-away $$$ prizes sums it all up rather neatly.

2. The whole point of this thread is that people disagree with the said commercial decision. As users, we're allowed to voice our opinions if we disagree with a commercial decision. This thread is our outlet... I seriously question why people come in here to say 'stop arguing and just accept it' (hint: this thread isn't for them).

3. Thanks for your sarcastic suggestion that I should setup my own business so that I can participate in its giveaways. However, MR has already provided this thread for me to discuss the matter in and regularly promotes the usage of this thread on their frontpage (presumably becauE most of their giveaway threads get flooded with international users saying 'this is so stupid'). If you are not impacted by this particular matter and it frustrates you so much to see people talking about it (in the designated thread, setup and endorsed by MR) then you have the option of ignoring this thread ;)

Last edited:

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I seriously question why people come in here to say 'stop arguing and just accept it' (hint: this thread isn't for them).
This thread is for anyone who wants to discuss the issue, regardless of what they think about the matter.

I personally think that after the site owner has chimed in multiple times to explain his decision about his site, there's nothing left to discuss. But that has nothing to do with who the thread is for.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
After following all the steps only I saw this:

"only U.S. residents who are 18 years of age or older are eligible to enter."

I'm not a U.S. resident :(
Yeah, I regret reading it as well. Lesson learned. Next time scroll immediately at the end of the page.

Reactions: MacMan988

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

1. No it's not an exaggeration. If enforcement agencies were gonna target somebody it would be a big player, not some random computer blog giving away $20 gimmicks. The fact that Facebook and a major movie studio can give-away $$$ prizes sums it all up rather neatly.

2. The whole point of this thread is that people disagree with the said commercial decision. As users, we're allowed to voice our opinions if we disagree with a commercial decision. This thread is our outlet... I seriously question why people come in here to say 'stop arguing and just accept it' (hint: this thread isn't for them).

3. Thanks for your sarcastic suggestion that I should setup my own business so that I can participate in its giveaways. However, MR has already provided this thread for me to discuss the matter in and regularly promotes the usage of this thread on their frontpage (presumably becauE most of their giveaway threads get flooded with international users saying 'this is so stupid'). If you are not impacted by this particular matter and it frustrates you so much to see people talking about it (in the designated thread, setup and endorsed by MR) then you have the option of ignoring this thread ;)

Again, consider the size and scale of Facebook (58,604 employees as at 12/31/2020) to MacRumors. One’s one of the largest companies in the world, the other is a private organization with, at a guess, a staff of 20 or so folk.

In addition it would not surprise me if Facebook has legal representatives on payroll or retainer in most parts of the globe. Can’t imagine @MR has anything outside the USA.

And yes, you can express an opinion. However you don’t have the right to not have other opinions expressed as well.

And as for your last point - embolden for good measure. look towards the mirror my friend - do you not feel such an opinion applies to you as much as it does to anyone?

You can complain about this until you’re blue in the face, but right now it still doesn’t look like @arn has any desire to change. At some point in time you have to accept that this is his site and he gets to decide the rules. Dog knows I’m no cheerleader for all things MR - but ultimately I, like everyone else, are playing in his sandpit.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
And as for your last point - embolden for good measure. look towards the mirror my friend - do you not feel such an opinion applies to you as much as it does to anyone?

You can complain about this until you’re blue in the face...
1. It applies to everybody outside the USA and Canada, hence the existence of this thread for international users.
2. You're the one going blue in the face, comrade.

My post...
[---]

Your posts complaining about my post:
[----------------------------------------------------------------------------------]

• Haha
Reactions: TiggrToo

Queen6

macrumors G4
Who cares outside of the US, irrespective of content. At best simply laziness, at worse outright discriminative, equally MR want's us all to contribute irrespective of our geographic location. Being all too happy to take the cash as a contributor from anyone based anywhere, yet is seemingly incapable of shipping a soft toy, T-shirt or leather bag internationally. I've considered contributing for some time, however with such clear and obvious bias a solid NO.

1633432516589.png

Treat your international members fairly and stop with the excuses...

Q-6

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Who cares outside of the US, irrespective of content. At best simply laziness, at worse outright discriminative, equally MR want's us all to contribute irrespective of our geographic location. Being all too happy to take the cash as a contributor from anyone based anywhere, yet is seemingly incapable of shipping a soft toy, T-shirt or leather bag internationally. I've considered contributing for some time, however with such clear and obvious bias a solid NO.

View attachment 1857154

Q-6
Excellent post. As an international member this is why I will not become a MR supporter because International members are not treated equally. I've already spoken my piece earlier in this thread (think one of my posts even got removed) and well, let's just say the typical excuses were used.

MR giveaways should be for all or for none.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

View attachment 1857154

Q-6
Apparently Arn does. It's been stated any number of times there can be legal ramifications for not obeying local laws regarding giveaways.

When you get to run a business you get to run it your way and decide if you want to run the risk of breaking those laws. Sure the risks are low, but they're still risks and Arn has decided that he does not want to risk breaking those rules.

Other companies may either decide to ignore these rules or pay for a third party to manage them. Those are business decisions that one has to look into to weigh up if it's worth the cost.

Apparently it's not currently worth the cost for Arn.

Who knows, he may decide later it is. Or not.

Reactions: sman789 and Queen6

ZeChild

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Glasgow, UK
So just wondering what rules in the UK this falls foul of, of course this is up to MacRumors to decide the Location and rules they run by, but I don't know of any specific rule that stops a giveaway in the UK or Most of Europe, aside from potential import charges, which if your getting a product for free, why wouldn't you pay this??? all your competitions are Americas based and there's a good proportion of us that don't live there so if it is impossible why not run a promo for us outside the US????

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
... why not run a promo for us outside the US????

Definitely. Seems so obvious, doesn't it? I've previously asked the same. Still waiting for a reply...

Perhaps MR could kindly consider running some prize draws on a country-specific basis, for those outside of the US, including UK members. I expect there would be plenty of interest from product providers who target those markets.

Reactions: djgamble

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
So just wondering what rules in the UK this falls foul of, of course this is up to MacRumors to decide the Location and rules they run by, but I don't know of any specific rule that stops a giveaway in the UK or Most of Europe, aside from potential import charges, which if your getting a product for free, why wouldn't you pay this??? all your competitions are Americas based and there's a good proportion of us that don't live there so if it is impossible why not run a promo for us outside the US????

Short answer, none.

Long answer... they (inaccurately) characterise giveaways as sweepstakes (aka gambling) and are worried about falling foul of gambling laws.

---

IMO a practical solution if they are worried about shipping costs and gambling regulation is to:
- Acknowledge the contribution of international members rather than including a generic (non-legal, Googled) message that dismisses them EVERY TIME.

- Change their (generic, Googled) message to something more personal like 'sorry but we are a small site and US law is stupid at times... we may be wrong about it but choose not to do international giveaways because the USA MIGHT charicterise these as sweepstakes. If it did, we don't have the resources to mount a challenge to possible fines...etc'. Make it clear this is a commercial decision, not an issue caused by the laws of foreign countries. The wording could be a lot nicer and more accurate. IMO 99% of the issue is that the generic wording (which they could just remove altogether) is what annoys people.

- Every once in a while, have some 'gifts' that only apply to international users. For example, discount codes (for the same products) + special badges on the forum and the like. IMO it wouldn't take THAT much effort to do so.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Perhaps you could kindly direct me to where MR replied to my suggestion. As far as I can see, they haven't.
We have indeed consulted with our lawyers about this, and the effort required even to draft up rules to make sure we were in compliance with Canadian laws was not insignificant, and unfortunately it's just not feasible to do the same for every other country.

Yes, Quebec is excluded because it has a number of rules related to giveaways that just aren't possible to meet...register the rules and all relevant information at least 30 days in advance, pay fee of up to 10% of the prize value, file a security bond equal to the prize value until delivery to the winner has been confirmed, provide all information in both English and French, and file a written report at the conclusion of the contest, among other requirements. There's no way we could afford or even be able to do that on a weekly basis for what are rather low-value prizes in total.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
It doesn't count that I have a U.S. forwarding address to where I live, does it?
Just do it IMO. Honestly... they'd save all this fuss by just saying 'US address required' instead of making an inaccurate statement of how they think the law operates. It just wastes time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.