Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flashy-cat

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2007
UK
Would be nice if you could include the UK in these giveaways. I'm not aware of any legislation that prevents it? The main criteria in the UK is to state that no purchase is necessary.

Reactions: martyjmclean

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Does any other comparable site run international giveaways? It's just too complicated legally for us to run them in multiple countries.

Even Engadget, who is owned by AOL and had their terms written up as "AOL Tech Giveaways", limits their giveaways to U.S./Canada. http://www.engadget.com/official-giveaways-rules/ -

arn
Would it make sense to spend a few bucks on a professional service that does giveaways? I'd at least explore that option, if they handle the legalities it'd be worth it just to avoid the hassle. Example from a quick Google search: https://www.rafflecopter.com

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Would it make sense to spend a few bucks on a professional service that does giveaways? I'd at least explore that option, if they handle the legalities it'd be worth it just to avoid the hassle. Example from a quick Google search: https://www.rafflecopter.com
MR is already using Rafflecopter. You can see the link if you hover over the entry widget.

Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 6.27.15 AM.png

Reactions: appledefenceforce

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
I'm guessing complaining about the problem won't fix it. So what's the solution?

Macrumors are saying they can only do the US because they don't have the resources to check legislation in other countries. Makes sense. The solution.

1/ Ask Macrumors if you get an opinion for your country can they live with that and open it up for your country as well.

2/ If yes to 1/ then go and get what Macrumors want for your country.

3/ Heck even ask MR to post up the info they need and in what form so everyone can read it and make their own call about getting the info MR need.

Simple really. Whose keen?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm guessing complaining about the problem won't fix it. So what's the solution?

Macrumors are saying they can only do the US because they don't have the resources to check legislation in other countries. Makes sense. The solution.

1/ Ask Macrumors if you get an opinion for your country can they live with that and open it up for your country as well.

2/ If yes to 1/ then go and get what Macrumors want for your country.

3/ Heck even ask MR to post up the info they need and in what form so everyone can read it and make their own call about getting the info MR need.

Simple really. Whose keen?
That still kinda' seems like a monumental undertaking. There are 196 countries, so even trying to figure out what the law/rules are for a small portion of them would be quite the task.

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
That still kinda' seems like a monumental undertaking. There are 196 countries, so even trying to figure out what the law/rules are for a small portion of them would be quite the task.

Reasons we shouldn't try and get change;

1/ It's how we've always done it.
2/ It'll be too hard.
3/ It's easier just to complain.
4/ ....

On a side note I am working to get the law/system changed around the family court to ensure less children lives are destroyed. I am not interested in fighting the Family Court. I am interested in changing the system. This is a monumental undertaking that will likely take decades. I've set up a charitable trust for it. One primary concern is widespread perjury by parents. Perjury is illegal. The Family Court has no jurisdiction to deal with perjury associated with a Family Court case. The Judge has to accept that people are telling the truth and that their lawyers are not supporting perjury. Perjury is a criminal matter that requires a Police investigation and then further the Police then have to decide to charge the person and the court process be run for that. What this means is children lives get destroyed and some years later if the system deems it appropriate perjury charges will be laid. In New Zealand the Police to my knowledge have not charged on Perjury in this environment and therefore it means you can tell massive lies and get away with harming children.

I've had person after person from the Ministry of Justice, The Courts, The Human Rights Body, The Childrens Commissioner tell me it an't be changed. That the processes go back to the British Westminster system. I tell them I know that but the reality is children lives are being destroyed and we have two choices. Do nothing. Do something. The courts are by and large operating correctly. The problem is the systems and processes need changing.

I hope to see that change in my lifetime. It's unconscionable to me that we allow this to exist. I am aware that resources and work needed to make this change though. It is big.

Reactions: Sharewaredemon

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Reasons we shouldn't try and get change;

Yeah... I hear you and I agree it is worth the effort to help better someone's life. But for the most part here we are talking about giving away a $100 backpack or something. I'm just not sure it is worth all the effort.

grad

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Very hard. Look, we didn't make your countries as over regulated as they are, but in the modern world of socialized democracies, doing business internationally is exceptionally difficult. It's just how things are. Either accept it, or don't.

So Hexus (UK based) and others (the list is long) can do international competitions while you can't but it's Europe that is over regulated?

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
So Hexus (UK based) and others (the list is long) can do international competitions while you can't but it's Europe that is over regulated?
Correct. Europe is over regulated. Look, doing competitions globally can be done in one of two ways: Either say a big "**** you" to laws and regulations globally, and deal with problems as they arise, or hire a bunch of lawyers and hash out what needs to be done to offer a global competition. Either one is expensive, and you could easily get yourself into trouble with the first option. For a relatively small website such as MacRumors, it's far simpler to just stay local. They don't do competitions, they're a tech blog. It's not their job to offer sweepstakes around the world, and they don't have to. We should be thankful that they do at least offer them, because it delivers increased value for us, their customers. Nothing in your life changes by them offering global competitions (unless you somehow planned your life around winning something from a MacRumors sweepstakes?...), and nothing will change if they don't. I don't get why this is even an issue.

• Haha
Reactions: EmotionalSnow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.