Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

briloronmacrumo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
USA
According to Russell at SweetP Productions "Google has proposed a new tracking system to replace third party cookies. It's called FLoC (Federated Learning of Cohorts), and is already being tested in Chrome"

"It works roughly like this; your browsing history is analyzed in the browser and you are assigned an ID and are grouped with other users who share a similar browsing history. Your ID is then shared with advertisers who are looking for users with history/interests such as yours."

The tracking is "opt-out" and not opt-in, so this means sites must specifically request to opt-out. Testing MacRumor's url ( https://www.macrumors.com ) shows shows they have not opted-out.

The following site explains how MacRumors can opt-out: https://paramdeo.com/blog/opting-your-website-out-of-googles-floc-network

To test if a website has opted-out use this link
: https://aretheyflocing.me/

A detailed explanation of FLoC can be found here: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/03/googles-floc-terrible-idea

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Is this site "aretheyflocing.me" a joke? I entered completely nonsense like "gugugaga.com" or "dveh73?;!;928?j€4738.com" and it always says:
"... seems to be sharing data with Google's FLoC tracking network... ?

?

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
Is this site "aretheyflocing.me" a joke? I entered completely nonsense like "gugugaga.com" or "dveh73?;!;928?j€4738.com" and it always says:

?
Maybe since since sites are opted-in by default it shows that everything that doesn't specifically opt-out is using the new network. Just a guess. But you'd think the site would check if the entered site is reachable at all before trying to make a decision.

Reactions: vicks1008

briloronmacrumo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
USA

?
Not a joke. To avoid tracking a website must specifically opt-out. This means the website must make an effort to change their site. It also means the default is to allow or permit Google's tracking. Unless the tool ( not mine ) finds an indication the website has opted-out, it probably assumes the website has done nothing.

giv-as-a-ciggy-kent

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2020
Aus
"It works roughly like this; your browsing history is analyzed in the browser and you are assigned an ID and are grouped with other users who share a similar browsing history. Your ID is then shared with advertisers who are looking for users with history/interests such as yours."

The tracking is "opt-out" and not opt-in, so this means sites must specifically request to opt-out. Testing MacRumor's url ( https://www.macrumors.com ) shows shows they have not opted-out.

Thanks for posting this. What an absolutely disgusting state of affairs. "We data mine your users unless you ask us not to and even if you do, I mean, how will you ever know? lol" <-- this is despicable.

Compelling data point showing that Apple is on the right track.

vicks1008

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
You can use the DuckDuckGo Chrome Extension to block FLoc tracking in the meantime if you must use Chrome as your browser.

https://spreadprivacy.com/block-floc-with-duckduckgo/

In response to Google automatically turning on FLoC, we've enhanced the tracker blocking in our Chrome extension to also block FLoC interactions on websites. This is directly in line with the single purpose of our extension of protecting your privacy holistically as you use your browser. It’s privacy, simplified. (If you use a non-Chrome browser, you can get our extension here.) The FLoC blocking feature is included in version 2021.4.8 and newer of the DuckDuckGo extension, which should auto-update, though you can also check the version you have installed from the extensions list within Chrome.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Jokes on MacRumors, not using Chrome spyware in the first place
Google Chrome would've never gained mainstream popularity if it actually was spyware.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're referring to fake versions of Google Chrome or malicious extensions.

Regardless, I do agree that it's ridiculous that MacRumors won't let us opt out of FLoC tracking. They should focus on that ASAP.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Google Chrome would've never gained mainstream popularity if it actually was spyware.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're referring to fake versions of Google Chrome or malicious extensions.

Regardless, I do agree that it's ridiculous that MacRumors won't let us opt out of FLoC tracking. They should focus on that ASAP.

"Spyware describes software with malicious behavior that aims to gather information about a person or organization and send such information to another entity in a way that harms the use"

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Jokes on MacRumors, not using Chrome spyware in the first place
I don't think the jokes on MacRumors ;)

I don't follow a lot of what Google does with tracking but I have been transitioning over to Brave which is supposed to be more privacy orientated.

1621161862109.png

Reactions: BigMcGuire

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
"Spyware describes software with malicious behavior that aims to gather information about a person or organization and send such information to another entity in a way that harms the use"
Which isn't what Google Chrome is...

The government would've intervened a looong time ago if that was true, especially considering the fact that Google Chrome had 65.99% of the global browser market in 2020 according to the chart posted above.

SpringKid

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2019
For Chrome’s POC, cohorts will be logged with sync in a limited set of circumstances. Namely, all of the following conditions must be met:

1. The user is logged into a Google account and opted to sync history data with Chrome
  2. The user does not block third-party cookies
  3. The user’s Google Activity Controlshave the following enabled:
    1. “Web & App Activity”
    2. “Include Chrome history and activity from sites, apps, and devices that use Google services”
  4. The user’s Google Ad Settingshave the following enabled:
    1. “Ad Personalization”
    2. “Also use your activity & information from Google services to personalize ads on websites and apps that partner with Google to show ads.”
From: https://github.com/WICG/floc#qualifying-users-for-whom-a-cohort-will-be-logged-with-their-sync-data

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
What is the big deal about Chrome anyway? I've never used it. What does Chrome do that Safari can't please?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I don't think the jokes on MacRumors ;)

I don't follow a lot of what Google does with tracking but I have been transitioning over to Brave which is supposed to be more privacy orientated.

View attachment 1775405

Well... jokes on them when I am on MacRumors because I don't use toxic software

What is the big deal about Chrome anyway? I've never used it. What does Chrome do that Safari can't please?

80%+ market share of PC that use Windows and Android do not have Safari as an option. Either way there is also FireFox and Brave.

People use Chrome out of habit and do not care to change. They see no reason to.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
80%+ market share of PC that use Windows and Android do not have Safari as an option. Either way there is also FireFox and Brave.

People use Chrome out of habit and do not care to change. They see no reason to.
You wish they would switch to Safari, but we don't know if they actually would. Most people would likely stick with what they're already familiar with.
Well... jokes on them when I am on MacRumors because I don't use toxic software
What is toxic software? Does that make you special? Im confused... ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
80%+ market share of PC that use Windows and Android do not have Safari as an option.
Even when it was available, people didn't use Safari on windows. It wasn't really that good

Exactly, consumers by and large really don't care and see no reason to change.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Even when it was available, people didn't use Safari on windows. It wasn't really that good
Have things changed since then?
Exactly, consumers by and large really don't care and see no reason to change.
Yeah, let consumers use what they want.
Yup. And why Facebook has hundreds of millions of subscribers/customers/users.
They have billions of users. They won't (and simply cannot) go away anytime soon.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.