Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
This is being talked about in other threads but deserves its own.

Browsing the MacRumors forum on an iPhone 13 Pro causes the device to overheat just below the camera module.

So much so, that the phone eventually dims the display brightness to reduce the operating temperature. This only happens when combined with relatively bright sunshine.

This only happens on MacRumors and it can be fixed by using an Ad Blocker.

I find it interesting that this was not an issue on my iPhone 12 Pro and that it appears to be related to ads or trackers, even when there are no ads visible on screen. Even gaming or 4K Video has no discernible effect on operating temperature but MacRumors makes it hot!

Weird.

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Actually, come to think of it, I was noticing my 12 Pro get warm in the same area and more so in the week or so before I swapped it for a 13. Maybe it’s a new issue related to iOS 15

The 13 Pro gets warmer though.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
There is a whole thread on this issue which is under investigation

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
This is not new OP, the macrumours forum has caused many Iphone 12's (the whole range) to heat up considerably since IOS 14.6 and massacre battery levels. My 12 Mini would get hot enough to fry an egg sometimes, but ad blockers like Firefox Focus has helped to alleviate the issue a bit.

If you use the macrumours site for about 5 mins, then you should be OK, but after this your iphone is gonna heat up. I just use my work laptop for macrumours now, or my Ipad Air as that does not heat up.

Last edited:

Alfieg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
Thanks guys, I’ve read up on it now ?

The temporary fix mentioned in the other thread must have kicked in on my phone as now running cool. (Where if you are logged in for a good period of time it stops loading ads). Another good reason to hate ads!

I would use an ad blocker all the time but I’ve not found any yet that work with Google shopping link

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Thanks guys, I’ve read up on it now ?

The temporary fix mentioned in the other thread must have kicked in on my phone as now running cool. (Where if you are logged in for a good period of time it stops loading ads). Another good reason to hate ads!

I would use an ad blocker all the time but I’ve not found any yet that work with Google shopping link
Check out Wipr. It does a pretty good job

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I think that’s just a known issue. Happening now on my 13pm. Getting dim …

fatlardo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2011
Happens with my iphone 11 pro, 12 mini, and also my 13 mini. Cmon Macrumors, fix this chit.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Never noticed on my 11 Pro, and not sure it affects 11 Pro models, but also have been using AdBlock Pro for a while… will keep an eye on my 13 Pro which arrives Thursday…pumped!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Happens with my iphone 11 pro, 12 mini, and also my 13 mini. Cmon Macrumors, fix this chit.
It should be fixed for now. Presently, ads on forums stop loading after 5 page views for registered users. If it's still happening after that, it's something else.

Alternatively, all ads can be removed for $25/yr: https://forums.macrumors.com/account/upgrades

Further debugging / issues should be followed up in the feedback forum thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macrumors-site-forums-causing-battery-drain.2298839/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.