Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but does it seem like there are many more threads being created each day? I don't know if total posts each day has grown but I'd be interested to hear if this place really has suddenly become more popular. Whaddya reckon? Have we suddenly kicked into third gear? Will we soon overtake Google's daily hits? Is there really a link between smoking and heart disease?

I've been casually monitoring the statistics at the bottom of the forums page but apparently these are reasonably inaccurate. :eek:

Whatever the official response is, I'm happy to see this place growing so quickly. It's a bit cool.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Perhaps a percieved effect thanks to Forum spy?

I certainly wouldnt have found this thread without it, but now i am responding so who knows?

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
mad jew said:
...But I don't use Forum Spy. Maybe Forum Spy is encouraging more posting though...

With ForumSpy i have posted much more. I think its a great addition to the site.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
mad jew said:
Maybe Forum Spy is encouraging more posting though...

Are you getting worried that we're all slowly catching up to your post count? ;)

(yeah, like *that's* ever going to happen...)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Here's a rock-solid scientific measure. ;)

Clicking New Posts when I first wake up and having my coffee used to bring up 11-12 pages or so, these days it's usually 14-16 and has been up to 20 on the busy days.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Personally, I don't think using Forum Spy has increased my posting rates – not significantly, at least. What it has done is made me reply to threads a lot quicker than I used to.

My posting rate tends to reflect the number of interesting threads that catch my attention – if there are a lot floating around that I feel I can contribute something to, I'll post in them. If I've nothing to add, I won't post.

I think the overall increase in threads/posts is due to the interest surrounding Apple and its products lately – and as more people sign up to the boards the number of people posting their thoughts and starting new threads to express themselves is naturally going to increase.

Just my twopenneth worth.:)

NeoMac

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
One of the things I have noticed recently is that on web sites like CNN articles regarding apple products the authors will make reference to sites like macrumors. I would think that would raise people’s curiosity.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Jaffa Cake said:
Just my twopenneth worth.:)
I agree. There seems to be quite a buzz around all things Apple of late and this surge is a side effect.

As for Forum Spy, I think it has encouraged more posting. I remember when I first started reading the forums, there were so many that I sort of got lost in them (it didn't help that I hadn't discovered New Posts either). The Spy gives a complete summary of everything going on so I guess people are exposed to more.

L

Lau

I think people are also much more inclined to make a new thread about something these days. I see making a thread as quite a big thing (even if it is about something silly ;) ) and so consequently have 'only' made 67 threads in my 4000 :eek: or so posts.

Actually, that might be an interesting thread — what's your post count to new threads ratio? (Obviously I'm far too scared to actually start such a thread.) :p

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
dcv said:
Are you getting worried that we're all slowly catching up to your post count? ;)

LMAO!
Forum spy is the reason I seem to post more...but then again it was always "new posts" for me.

mufflon

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2006
the Spy was the thing that actually made me stop lurking! - just seemed so god damn efficient :)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
But will this inflation of posts dilute the quality of post and usefulness of information.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
MacNut said:
But will this inflation of posts dilute the quality of post and usefulness of information.
Hopefully we'll at least keep the same ratio of useful posts, even though the number of not so useful posts increases. Of course, we may also see the ratio increase as more people weigh in on topics that may have previously been staying quiet.

Besides, usefulness is relative. The more people are here, the more likely a post will be useful to someone.

Hopefully.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Or the same points will be stated 50 times in a thread and everyone will be repeating themselves.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
People are liking the community....so they will put threads that are personal or just to get at apple fans(like the 15+ I hate itunes 7 threads)

In the community thread I see people posting some personal stuff there so I'm guessing people are getting comfortable with this place and its like second nature to talk about taking a dump to your friends:confused:

Yes smoking do cause cancer and I like peanut butter sandwhich

Bless

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
MacNut said:
Or the same points will be stated 50 times in a thread and everyone will be repeating themselves.

That is a feature of internet forums that is hard to avoid. It's present in the majority of big forums I've visited, especially in places where big news stories get posted and there are many replies each minute.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Probably because MacRumors is one of the few forums that doesn't use militant rules and regulations and doesn't have over zealous moderators high on so-called authority publicly rebuking it's members.

I use to frequent an Australian Mac forum (Appletalk Australia) and it was a nightmare. The people who run it are inexperienced. That forum has a list of rules and regulations longer than a roll of toilet tissue including ones they make up as they go along. And if one of the moderators decides he doesn't like you (in my case it was homophobia) then you're a target for public humiliation and defamation until they ban you.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
dcv said:

Lady, it keeps me awake at night. :D

Blue Velvet said:
Here's a rock-solid scientific measure. ;)

Clicking New Posts when I first wake up and having my coffee used to bring up 11-12 pages or so, these days it's usually 14-16 and has been up to 20 on the busy days.

That's what first grabbed my attention. Of course, that's only a measure of the amount of different threads being posted in and not a measure of the actual number of posts made in a night. For me it has leapt from about 12 pages on a typical Aussie night to about 18-20 (of course it stops at 20). Craziness.

Lau said:
I think people are also much more inclined to make a new thread about something these days. I see making a thread as quite a big thing (even if it is about something silly ;) ) and so consequently have 'only' made 67 threads in my 4000 :eek: or so posts.

Actually, that might be an interesting thread — what's your post count to new threads ratio? (Obviously I'm far too scared to actually start such a thread.) :p

Agreed. It worries me how many threads some people have as a measure of their post count. I think the Search function is being used well by some, but not at all by others. :(

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
of course MacRumors is growing, its huge now compared to even when i joined, and i was rather late to the party as things were.

its an evolution that will always continue. but i do see more and more threads being created, and i wonder if that is totally neccissary as it seems the same questions are endlessly asked.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
PlaceofDis said:
of course MacRumors is growing, its huge now compared to even when i joined, and i was rather late to the party as things were.

its an evolution that will always continue. but i do see more and more threads being created, and i wonder if that is totally neccissary as it seems the same questions are endlessly asked.

Looking at ya'lls post counts, I'm a real babe in the woods, ( just switched to Macs 8 months ago).

Hopefully the forum will continue to grow as more people see the advantages of the Mac.

Now if Apple would just go ahead and release the Merom MBP's we could probably reduce the new thread count by 30%. :D

Oops, forgot about about the threads complaining that the MBP update didn't include the exact feature set someone wanted, at the exact price they wanted to pay. :(

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
PlaceofDis said:

True, but this past month seems to have seen a ridiculously large growth. It's amazing. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.