Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
UK
For the MacRumors Team SETI members and for those that are interested our group ranking can be found here

As you can see we are only 2 places behind NASA Goddard and our overall team rank is 1618 ( I don't know how many groups their are!)

For those thinking of joining please do, you can help us get to the top 200 sooner...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
As of my post, we're 1593 and we'll be 1587 in a couple days. Not bad, we keep this up we'll be in the top 1000 in a few months.

When I get a new machine, I'll have to add it to the folding team, so I can do work for both teams....

D

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

And the Folding team got into the top 100 today.:p

Only two more spots and we'll be ahead of MacCentral.com...:eek:

How many folding teams are there anyway?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by asurace
How many folding teams are there anyway?

Good question. We were team #3446 when arn created the team at the start of May...I'd say over 4000 easily...but I may be wrong.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
pretty close. there are 38xx when i checked some time yesterday.

i tried seti first since it was berkeley but the software is buggy as hell, and i refuse to run software on my machine that causes problems.

so i joined folding, and after some help from mc68k i got it up and running.

i completed one workunit for seti though! (took like 8 hours! ugh)

but folding seems slower, and there is no way of seeing progress which sucks.

seems like both folding and seti need some serious help with their programming. you would think having all the computer nerds at these schools they could write a proper program. im ashamed of two of my favorite california schools.

i must say that though i like the goal of seti better (more profound) it kidna sucks that basically all the work is for nothing until something big happens, but with folding every workunit is important which is cool. although folding isnt doing anything nearly as profound as seti, but i know that when id o finsih my first workunit i will i figured out something.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
There are quite a few teams for folding. However, it is easy to get into the top 2/300!! KEEP SETI CRUNCHING!

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
The SETI team is being out-crunched by 8 of the teams in the 100 teams ahead of us.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
The Folding team will probably top out in the 20s somewhere, if we don't get some more members.

But with some good participation by the people here, we've got a shot at the top 10!:eek:

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
UK
A quick weekly update,

we have risen 268 places up the ranks (now ranked 1350) thanks to the team crunching effort and a couple of new members joining.

Congratulations to the folding team on passing MacCentral.com:D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by pc_convert?
A quick weekly update,

we have risen 268 places up the ranks (now ranked 1350) thanks to the team crunching effort and a couple of new members joining.

Congratulations to the folding team on passing MacCentral.com:D

Thanks, pc_convert. We're in 93rd and climbing fast.

Congrats to you guys too. Glad to see that both of our teams are doing so well.:D

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Is anyone out there not doing this to get a high rank? It's very exciting to be top 100 of something in the world, but I do SETI because I want to find ET!! I do it as much as possible, but if I can't, I can't. Not that the folding stuff isn't important, but just not for me. I say we stop worrying about numbers, and just let things go.

Just my thought...If no one agrees, then forget I ever said this.

-Pete

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by ptrauber
Is anyone out there not doing this to get a high rank? It's very exciting to be top 100 of something in the world, but I do SETI because I want to find ET!! I do it as much as possible, but if I can't, I can't. Not that the folding stuff isn't important, but just not for me. I say we stop worrying about numbers, and just let things go.

Just my thought...If no one agrees, then forget I ever said this.

-Pete

The competition aspect is simply the icing on the cake...as are the benchmarking applications.

I'm doing Folding to help find cures for diseases.:)

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
UK
As Rower said I think most people's motivation is to find ET/cures for diseases but the friendly competition aspect helps keep people motivated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.