Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
We were discussing in another thread, the possibilities of collaborating with people around the world on a video project.

I thought about a series of short narratives that are linked by one single object that would appear in each of our own videos. For example, something like a camera, or something as trivial as a matchstick. If we all had one similarity it would bind them all together.

That's just an idea, i think it would be a great thing and the outcome would be something we could all enjoy, we would all get a slice of someone else's imagination!

Any other idea's out there?

I thought this should have it's own thread, and it's own title, so it's open to whoever is interested.

Rich.

mangis

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
I'm interested in such a project. It could be a really amazing thing. Perhaps some sort of universal theme with different takes on it. Any good ideas floating around?

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I like the idea of seeing how small the 'world' can be at times. Perhaps a series of short-clips or pics of land-marks that other people may or may not recognise?

* Rushes out to film the Canadian flag along-side the tourists!* :p

jrk07

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2005
As I said in the other thread, I am down 100%. We just need to get a good idea (I really like the OPs idea). Our collaborative talents should be able to pump out something professional and interesting. :)

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
So we need some 'single object' suggestions.

Does it need to be a tangible object, or would it be more interesting to have it intangible?

EDIT: Just a thought, since the 'end' editing job of this is going to be tricky, how's about starting with the OP's idea of a series of shorts, based on a single object/theme, but then allowing each person who enters a short, the chance to edit their own short-film at the end (using ALL and ONLY the individual shorts) - perhaps a friendly competition of some sort?

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I quite like this, we could all produce a visual documentation of our surroundings, exploring shape, colour and compositions.

I look in detail at my surroundings, some people never even look up.

Rich.

Danksi said:
I like the idea of seeing how small the 'world' can be at times. Perhaps a series of short-clips or pics of land-marks that other people may or may not recognise?

* Rushes out to film the Canadian flag along-side the tourists!* :p

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
This sounds like a really interesting idea. Would love to see it materialise, see what concepts come out.

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
fatsoforgotso said:
I thought about a series of short narratives that are linked by one single object that would appear in each of our own videos.
How about an apple

whoooaaahhhh

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Ideas

Thought i'd post a few idea-rs.
1. One could be innovation. I mean we could each do different shorts about random innovations that we cool, important, funny or whatever. Then we could like end it with like a thing on Macs being innovative, or like a new motto of some kind like, MacRumors: Tracking Innovation or something like that.

2. Also, we could do a bunch of things about like how macs have changed the world. Like movies and science and other stuff.

3. We could also one like funny places to find a mac or something.

4. If we want to get controversial and start a good old flame war, we could do a movie about places where macs have replaced pcs or something like that. Etc.

Anyway, there are tons more, but we need to have a very clear concise vision if we're going to do this.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
calculus said:
How about an apple

Brilliant!

The whole reason we are here is through Apple, it'll be a really subtle reference to how this all started.

I think once we all agree on something, we can then start to think of a duration.

This is all great!

Rich.

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
fatsoforgotso said:
Brilliant!

The whole reason we are here is through Apple, it'll be a really subtle reference to how this all started.

I think once we all agree on something, we can then start to think of a duration.

This is all great!

Rich.
Let's get to it! We need some simple 'rules' like

Content - I'd say whatever you like as long as it is 'decent' (sorry can't think of a better term to cover so much ground). Has to feature an apple somewhere.
Duration - A minute? Two minutes?
Someone would then have to pull all the stuff together.

qpawn

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2003
California
At the end of each short, somebody can throw an apple to the person in the next short to catch.... that way the apple can travel around the globe. :)

Basically, have the apple lost or left behind somewhere at the of a short so it can be found by the next short. :p

Just thinking of ways of linking. That rhymes. :D

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
This is such a good idea...I'm in!

I like the idea of using an apple in the short films. I think if we find different ways to use the apple in a transition, or the actual subject of each short, we could make a really cool compilation of all the shorts.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
In all seriousness, I think every film should have it's own take on the apple, i.e. as long as the apple has some significance and appears prominently, it will be a clear enough link between the shorts.

In terms of duration, I think anywhere between 3 - 5 minutes sounds good.

So the list of people surely willing to undergo such a project are as follows:

fatsoforgotso
mangis
Danksi
Lau
jrk07
liketom
whoooaaahhhh
heaven
Oryan
calculus
qpawn
Kingsly
bigbossbmb
irmongoose
Graeme
kiwi-in-uk
GhostFace
Sdashiki
Keebler
Texas04
technicolor
Gil_Grissom

Others who surely want to do this should reply to this thread clearly stating their interest and I'll add them to the list.

Anyways, that makes 20 people, with DV movies (I assume) about 4 minutes on average. If everyone compresses to Quicktime .mp4 with H.264 (is this necessary?) with dimensions 320x480, the final output should be about 20 ~ 30 MB per person, which with the current list of people would amount to about 400 ~ 600 MB in total. We could all then upload to YouSendIt or RapidShare, and someone will have to download everything and put it together. Then we we also need a central server to share this final file.

So, we need someone

1. Willing to download everyone's video and put it together, then upload the final file to a server.

2. Willing to share the final file on his/her server.

Anyone up for either job?

If I've misestimated the file size, etc. please let me know.

irmongoose

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
irmongoose said:
In all seriousness, I think every film should have it's own take on the apple, i.e. as long as the apple has some significance and appears prominently, it will be a clear enough link between the shorts.

In terms of duration, I think anywhere between 3 - 5 minutes sounds good.

So the list of people surely willing to undergo such a project are as follows:

fatsoforgotso
mangis
Danksi
Lau
jrk07
liketom
whoooaaahhhh
heaven
Oryan
calculus
qpawn
Kingsly
bigbossbmb
irmongoose

Others who surely want to do this should reply to this thread clearly stating their interest and I'll add them to the list.

Anyways, that makes 14 people, with DV movies (I assume) about 4 minutes on average. If everyone compresses to Quicktime .mp4 with H.264 (is this necessary?) with dimensions 320x480, the final output should be about 20 ~ 30 MB per person, which with the current list of people would amount to about 300 ~ 400 MB in total. We could all then upload to YouSendIt or RapidShare, and someone will have to download everything and put it together. Then we we also need a central server to share this final file.

So, we need someone

1. Willing to download everyone's video and put it together, then upload the final file to a server.

2. Willing to share the final file on his/her server.

Anyone up for either job?

If I've misestimated the file size, etc. please let me know.

irmongoose
4GB .Mac storage here - with bandwidth to burn :cool:

Maybe we need ourself a central Mac group so we can all keep tabs on what we are doing -
Music ? someone with Garageband skills
clips of around 30 sec each i was thinking - with one theme for all of us
i take it most of us will be using DV cam's ? and i will be using iMovie to edit but for final Movie maybe someone with FCP Skills
i like the idea of throwing an apple to link to the next clip - maybe a what a mac means to us ?

if you want to check out my iMovie editing have a looky on my you tube page :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5HcZbBdxNc there are 4 movies in total

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
I can unveil my insane super-human FCP ninja editor skills.
Also, are we talking Apple the fruit or Apple the computer company or just our interpretation of the letters A P P L E in that order?
When all the rules and people involved becomes clear someone should compile together it in the MR wiki.
Also... Why doesn't MR host it? It is, after all, the MacRumors video collaboration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.