Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the years, MacRumors has provided live web and IRC coverage of major Apple Keynote events. With the recent trends of increasing popularity of both Apple and MacRumors.com, keynote coverage traffic has reached all time highs, and providing live updates on the web medium has proved to be resource intensive.

In efforts to improve the end-user experience, we've revamped our Keynote coverage technology by integrating the latest web technologies, collectively described as AJAX, to provide more frequent and dynamic updates. This new system (described here in detail) will also decrease the strain on server resources allowing us to deliver updates to exponentially more users simultaneously.

WWDC 2005 Keynote coverage will take place at MacRumorsLive.com using this new system. The page will provide updates at 60-second intervals, a significantly shortened interval from previous live web updates.

For users who wish to follow along using Internet Relay Chat (IRC), we will continue to offer live IRC Updates as well.

The new web system requires a Javascript enabled web browser, and will gracefully fall-back to the old meta-refresh system for unsupported browsers.

WWDC 2005 is proving to be a highly anticipated event. Follow the announcements live at MacRumorsLive.com.

The WWDC 2005 Keynote kicks off at 10am PDT (convert time here) on Monday June 6th 2005. All MacRumors.com front page traffic will be redirected to the keynote coverage page during that time.

Article Link: MacRumors WWDC 2005 Live Keynote Coverage

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Kewl, cannot wait!! Coverage should be good!! Many thanks!

Im at work but shall be getting on whenever I can to take a look!

(first post??!!)

(Edit: gutted!...beaten to it!)

Gil

oskar

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Great! I hope we can all be informed immediately as the keynote takes place. I've previously had problems being informed as it's actually taking place, except for live webcasts of course.

richard5mith

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2002
The site won't just require a browser with Javascript, it'll require a browser with xmlhttprequest support too. That basically means Safari, IE6 and Firefox/Mozilla.

J-Squire

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Australia
Great!

i've already set my alarm for 2:50am so that I can be up to watch the updates. Hopefully it is worth while. Is it a 90 minute keynote?

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Hmmm....3am on Tuesday morning here in Sydney. Normally, I wouldn't worry about it, and just read the highlights while eating breakfast at 7am. But with all the speculation about the switch to Intel-based chips, I think it's going to be a looooong night :)

ephix

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
oingoboingo said:
Hmmm....3am on Tuesday morning here in Sydney. Normally, I wouldn't worry about it, and just read the highlights while eating breakfast at 7am. But with all the speculation about the switch to Intel-based chips, I think it's going to be a looooong night :)

Yeah I'd do the same, except theres no live webcast :(

might just go to sleep now and wake up at 3am instead. am tired enough for it

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've already bookmarked it. I'll be tuning in for the keynote, but I haven't decided yet whether to use MacRumorsLive or IRC (or even both), since I'll have access to both at keynote time.

aldo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
England, UK
richard5mith said:
The site won't just require a browser with Javascript, it'll require a browser with xmlhttprequest support too. That basically means Safari, IE6 and Firefox/Mozilla.

Opera 8, too. And it's possible to do it on IE5 and 5.5.

ACED

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2004
Can't cope - won't cope!!!!

Intel - PPC ... a white knuckle ride til we know...

just can't get my mind around the thought of "Intel Inside" on the next PM, nor the fact that we might have to call it the G6!!!!

It will be like changing religion...

fatbarstard

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2003
New Zealand
OMG good plan!

Looks like WWDC will be a ripper :D

Intel or PPC will we really be any the wiser or is this a big PR scam pulled by Apple to put everyone off their game?? :eek:

I don't really care either way, as long as I get a G5 powerbook by Christmas I'll be happy (amd I'm ready to short some AAPL stock just in case!!!) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
Had a report that the Javascript-based page crashes Safari if PithHelmet is installed, so to use the web side you may need to disable it.

Any other problems let me know :)

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
the new system sounds great!

as far as the content of the keynote...in the immortal words of several star wars characters

"i've got a bad feeling about this..."

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.