Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Stuck on 2019 macOS Catalina? Your final official Security Update will be released by July 20, 2022 for the following Macs
  • iMac (Late 2012 or 2013)
  • MacBook Air (Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2012)
  • Mac Mini (Late 2012)
In my situation I'd replace it with a Mac model that was released after the final official Security Update was released.

Final Security Update arrives in July 2022 then I'd get any 2023 Mac that was released when it becomes available. This is so I can maximize the Security Update without significantly compromising my data's security.

So from a 22nm Mac to a 5nm Mac!

Last edited:

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
Oh the update will be released… half a year ago? Better prepare for this!

Jokes aside, instead of buying a new Mac you can just install a newer version of macOS with a patcher like the rest of us here.

Reactions: Bigwaff

sam_dean

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 9, 2022
Oh the update will be released… half a year ago? Better prepare for this!

Jokes aside, instead of buying a new Mac you can just install a newer version of macOS with a patcher like the rest of us here.
Patcher's are great as a stop gap but your Mac's over a decade old by now and due to wear and tear the hardware may not be as reliable, responsive or speedy when used further with a newer macOS version.

Not to mention the patcher does not fully work 100% of the time. When the macOS version is 2-5 version newer is installed then certain macOS features do not work or may not be reliable because of the lacking hardware or those maintaining the patchers have not figured out yet to make them work.

People buy Macs for the convenience of the quality of life improvements it brings. Using patchers is somewhat worse than using a Windows 11 PC.

• Haha
Reactions: Heat_Fan89

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
such sad.....
Catalina tho tarnished for non-32bit compatibility but a great gateway for Monterey and Ventura.
this OS did pave a way for great things like Music and booting other companies like Bose™ out of our ecosystem now.
Yes Mojave kicked that OS's ass, but Catalina deserves better.....
OH well looks like my macmni 2012 need sone OCLP lovin soon!
im out!

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Patcher's are great as a stop gap but your Mac's over a decade old by now and due to wear and tear the hardware may not be as reliable, responsive or speedy when used further with a newer macOS version.

Not to mention the patcher does not fully work 100% of the time. When the macOS version is 2-5 version newer is installed then certain macOS features do not work or may not be reliable because of the lacking hardware or those maintaining the patchers have not figured out yet to make them work.

People buy Macs for the convenience of the quality of life improvements it brings. Using patchers is somewhat worse than using a Windows 11 PC.
100% wrong. I'm running Monterey on my 2012 Mini with no problems.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
100% wrong. I'm running Monterey on my 2012 Mini with no problems.
I like Monterey over Ventura!
my only problem is not airplaying a sporting event to my Apple TV from the MacBook Pro, Monterey.
ya know, I never checked if Mojave can do that on the second drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.