Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akrantz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Hey guys,

So i tried to order a gpu upgrade from MacVidcards on ebay today and I was unable to actually pay him. Initially i thought my card had been declined as they sometimes do when they suspect fraud, but after calling them this turned out not to be the case. I then switched payment methods from CC to my checking account in PayPal, and Again PayPal gave me error, and told me to contact the seller.

Eventually I contacted PayPal support and was told the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Aaron, my name is Irene from PayPal Community Support.

I’m sorry to hear about the difficulty you encounter when sending an eBay payment. Let me help you.

I've reviewed your account and can confirm that the $584.00 USD payment you are referring to has been blocked by our internal security program.

PayPal has employed a statistical model that internally looks at each individual transaction purely on a statistical basis. This model is not based upon your credit , or the seller individually. This is similar to the way banks and credit card companies work.

We're not given details why the payment didn't complete because we don't want to open a window of opportunity for dishonest people in the internet to abuse our system and our valued customers.

I know how important it is for you to be able to send this payment, I suggest that you contact the seller for other payment options.

Here in PayPal, we offer our customers the flexibility on how to fund each payment they will make. Rest assured that your credit card or bank can still be used for future transactions. As a business, we would also like this payment to go through because that's how we earn money. However, we'd rather prioritize your security than our profit.

We appreciate your understanding for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem here is that macvidcards store on ebay does not have another method to pay besides PayPal which in essence means I can not buy from him.

because I know others on this forum have purchased these cards from him. My questions to the readers of this forum are as follows:

1. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how was it resolved?

2. Do i have to buy a card from MacVidCards or is there some other reseller I can use?

3. With no technical experience at all, is it advisable to flash a card myself? Assuming the info is out there on the interwebs somewhere.

4. What happens with a storebought gtx570?

Thanks for the advice guys.

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
why I hate Paypal!!

This is the single biggest reason I HATE PayPal and wish there was an alternative, unfortunately there is not. I can't tell you how many times I have called them about this and I always get the same stupid answer that its their 'security features' that block the payment, and I always ask them the same question, 'what good are your security features if they do nothing but inconvenience you're customers trying to use your service'?? I always get nothing but meaningless apologies and no resolution. See you can do an electronic money transfer from your bank, some banks offer this service, I know here in Canada we can, but the person you are sending the payment to has to bank at a participating bank, so its not always a viable option.

akrantz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
So i tried again when I got home and the order actually went through. No idea why my physical location made a difference of even if it did. If i had to guess it might be because my home adress is in a different zip code than my work adress. Only thing I can think of. WTB another option than ebay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.