Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patience

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
Do any of you better connected folks think that the recent sale at MacWarehouse ($100 off all-in-ones) signals an update to the IMac? My incentives for a pre-January 1 purchase are great.

mmz

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2002
iMac

I have been holding off on buying a 17" iMac for some time now. The sale at MacWarehouse and MacMall ($50 off) plus $100 rebate seems to indicate updates and repositioning of the iMac line. Now the $1999 iMac can be had for $1847.50. Any advice on whether it is worth waiting for Jan 7th or pull the trigger now.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Hollyday season. That's why there are rebates... A speedbumped iMac should be on its way, but don't get your hopes up for an announcement before MWSF.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Wow! $1087 for a 700MHz 15" flat-panel iMac with 512MB RAM thrown in. That's less than the suggested retail price for the low-end eMac! That's truly an outstanding deal. If I was in the market for a desktop, I would get the low-end iMac deal from MacWarehouse right now. But I prefer laptops and I just got my new 800MHz iBook :)

To answer your question, the discount probably means they want to get rid of their current inventory of iMacs, which does indeed indicate that at least a small upgrade to the iMac line is coming soon...

Man, if these prices keep going down Apple could gain some serious market share! The price is already right for the iBooks and TiBooks. Here is what they need to do with their iMac and eMac lines:

- G3 iMac price should be lowered to $500 or $600, for the extremely budget conscious, such as schools.

- Low-end eMac price should be lowered to $800 or $900

- Low-end iMac price should be lowered to $999 (looks like they're almost there based on MacWarehouse's latest deal)

If Apple could pull off the above prices without losing money, their market share would surge. Not like they would suddenly surge above 10%, but I could see them going from their current 4 or 5% to anywhere between 6 and 8%. Plus, if they could get a market share of at least 10% of new computers sold over the holidays or something, that would in itself be huge and they could claim that their Switch campaign is gaining major momentum.

iGod

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
Check out macmall.com TODAY. They have $50-100 discounts across the board on Apple systems.

http://www.macmall.com

The high end TiBook is available for $2900!

What could be the reason for all these sales? Seems a little mysterious to me.

mmz

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2002
I think you will see the same discounts in the Apple store "event" the day after thanksgiving. Apple is probably just giving the resellers an equal chance to make sales on the discounted prices so that they don't bitch and moan.

mmz

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2002
And how is it that Macwarehouse is offering a $100 rebate while MacMall is not even though they both have the $50 discount through Apple?

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
I just read a story about how there's serious price cutting accross the computer market because of slow sales:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/11/20/cheap.pcs.ap/index.html

Man, those PC's are cheap! $400 w/o monitor. I configured the Dell they mentioned with an ethernet card and 15" monitor (to compare with the classic iMac), for $609, and that includes a free upgrade to a DVD-ROM or a CD-RW! Even if consumers can get over the MHz myth, money still talks, and the Dell is still $200 less than the least expensive Mac. That's why, like I said before, Apple needs to drop the price of the classic iMac to $600 or $700.

The iMac's all-in-one design is much more elegant than the clunky Dell and is very appealing to this market (which consists mostly of budget-conscious institutions like schools, families buying a second computer, or the now rare technophobic first-time computer buyer). If Apple can just drop its prices another $100, I really think it would be competitive in the low-end market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.