Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
Originally posted by Tequila Grandma
[...] On a similar note, does anybody know if there are in fact car stereos that have a line in jack on the front? [...]

yeah, they make them. but to get line in on the front panel, you usually have to go for the headphone sized jack... no rca's on front panels. it's no biggy. messing around with car stereos really isn't all that bad - but the people who get paid to do it make it look that way, so most people are willing to pay...

the average radio can be had out of the dash in just a few minutes, if that... (even if i wasn't speaking from my own experience, there's a reason that theives are able to steal them - it doesn't take hours)...

I think an automotive version of the dock would rock, but there's no great way to do it that satisfies everyone. or even mostly everyone. unless you're putting 150-200 + into a car radio, you prolly don't have rca input jacks to begin with. Then you have to have a reliable and universal way to pull power (This really isn't a big deal, but is notable just the same). What it really comes down to though, is that if they make a mobile solution, it needs to be something that the average user can install.

matt

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
Re: Re: clip on scribble pad?

Originally posted by cc bcc
You've "heard" that where?

Don't you remember the rumor here a few months ago about a device from Apple the size of 2 DVD boxes (approximately) that had a screen on the front (8"??) and an opening in the back for which the dimensions were specified. At the time someone pointed out that opening was a little too small for an iPod. The whole thing was mostly forgotten until the new (slightly smaller) iPods came out with a much more dockable design. Interesting.....

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Re: Re: Re: clip on scribble pad?

Originally posted by DGFan
...an opening in the back for which the dimensions were specified. At the time someone pointed out that opening was a little too small for an iPod. The whole thing was mostly forgotten until the new (slightly smaller) iPods came out with a much more dockable design. Interesting.....

I was thinking the same thing... the 106mm x 66mm "compartment opening" would fit a new iPod quite nicely.

I'm still all over the idea of a "car stereo dock" that I could snap a new iPod into.

Wombatronic

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2003
What I want...

I would be so excited just to have a stereo out jack coming from the airport base station. The only thing I use my stereo for is to listen to stuff that comes from my laptop.

1. It is a pain in the arse to have a laptop wired in.
2. There is plenty of bw on 802.11[b/g] for it.
3. Seems easy to have it as an item under sytstemprefs/sound/output.

I assume they could just rip whatever decoder is in the iPod out, and put it in the basestation. Anyone know how much that part goes for?

Anyone with me on this, as opposed to whatever ridiculous over-the-top iPod integration is being dreamt up? Anything obviously wrong with it?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: Just a reminder...

Originally posted by bigdog
I know any rumors site has to be taken with a grain of salt, but MacWhispers has a sordid history indeed.

Macintouch Report

I really wish people would stop bringing this up. MacWhispers is in its infancy. We have yet to really see what his track record will be. Yes, maybe he made a few mistakes early on, but he has admitted to them, and explained how his policies have change on more than one occasion.

I mean, honestly, they're just rumors. Give him a break and let's see what comes of it.

tcmcam

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2002
Car Stereo Adapters

Originally posted by Tequila Grandma
I personally think it'd be absolutely marvelous if Apple collaborated with one of the top car stereo producers to make a car stereo with an iPod dock. On a similar note, does anybody know if there are in fact car stereos that have a line in jack on the front?

You should really check out http://www.autotoys.com. They have a bunch of adapters (made by Blitzsafe and Soundgate) that add a "Line Input" to most standard car stereo front ends. Grant you, this requires a bit of wiring but the audio benefits are huge. Especially considering the new iPod has a "Line Out" feature.

I'm using one in my Audi and the Audi simply thinks the iPod is a CD changer. Cool and sounds great.

tcmcam

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2002
I think the rumor is close, but...

I actually hope this isn't just an iPod dock. I actually see it being more of the following:

1. A black 17" wide enclosure (so that it matches your stereo components. (with a big white Apple logo on it that lights up).

2. Ethernet and Airport connections on the back (to connect to your Mac somewhere in the house). When configuring this thing, you give it your AppleID so that all your protected AAC files play on your home stereo. This unit is basically a streaming audio front end that interacts with your Mac.

3. Line Out and DIGITAL output to plug into your stereo. (Trust me, a Digital Optical or Coaxial output would make even AAC sound great. The iPod's DAC isn't that high-end.)

4. An iPod DOCK connector for two reasons. A) Play music from the iPod (when you aren't playing it by streaming from your Mac) B) a new way to copy files to your iPod. (why tie up your Mac if it's more convenient to sync from your living room).

I actually hope this thing could work without the iPod plugged in. Of course, this sounds an awful lot like a TurtleBeach AudioTron which is a wonderful home stereo MP3 player. Really, the Apple unit adds: AAC support, a new way to sync to an iPod, and hopefully a video-out so you can see visuals, album art, etc on your TV.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
You know, my DEH-P3500 Pioneer Reciever has a special bus on the back for conencting an auxillary in (which I use for my iPod), and a CD changer.

Well, I thought, wouldn't it be cool if I could control the iPod with the CD changer controls, through the stereo, that way I don't have to reach down to my iPod every time I wanted to change the track?

I wrote Pioneer an e-mail, but nothing came of it..

Oh well...

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
wait

im confused

does this mean if we want to record audio to the ipod we have to have the ipod in this new dock?? does this mean i will have to take both the ipod and dock to class if i wanted to record my lectures?

oh and about the airport extreme - does this mean i can stream from the ipod to my AlBOOK and listen through the speakers hooked up the albook? i dont understand the wifi thing. some1 enlighten me please!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.