Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
This doesn't really tell us anything that we shouldn't have known already. The Intel-based iMacs boot faster and they are faster running native programs and slower while emulating through Rosetta.

This only confirms what we already knew. If you ruly on non-native programs, you would do better sticking with the G5 iMacs.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
MBHockey said:
I don't think we'll see the true performance gains of the Intel chip until Leopard, at least.

Why not? Tiger 10.4.4 is Intel native, so why do we have to wait for Leopard for it to perform well?

Other non-native apps, yes, but not the OS.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Interesting how the native tasks aren't all that much faster.

The 512 RAM used on MW tests is an issue though I think too. Apparently Rosetta is a RAM hog, and the 512 only allows 256/core. Not really enough..

Try with 1GB/2GB. (On both systems). I think the percentage increase would go up.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Yeah, exactly. It's the FIRST intel native release.

It just is inevitable. A huge platform switch like this. It will require time and optimization before we see the true improvements.

Think of the switch from OS 9 to OS X. OS X was a mess at the start, but turned out to be much better than its predecessor.

It just takes time.

irrªtiºnal

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
i wouldn;t know why, but i am tempted to say that while by native, Apple meant some sort of chip-specific optimazation, by universal Apple must have done some sort of Google "translate this program" and then appended it to the end of G5 native code... emulated code is not surprisingly slow, but 50% performance of a fully G5 Pro app is too much (or, should i say, too little?).

really there is dissapointment when finding this performance "gains"... funny thing is that Core Duo saves energy as hell, when one does not really care about it in a desktop...

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
XIII said:
Interesting how the native tasks aren't all that much faster.

The 512 RAM used on MW tests is an issue though I think too. Apparently Rosetta is a RAM hog, and the 512 only allows 256/core. Not really enough..

Try with 1GB/2GB. (On both systems). I think the percentage increase would go up.

Spot on!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think you're gonna need more RAM than you're used to getting in order to see the benefits of dual core. Most of us are still used to single core CPUs with 1 GB of RAM. Comparing a single G5 chip with an Intel Core Duo isn't really fair. Also, just because the Intel iMac performs only slightly better than the G5 iMac when both are loaded with 512 MB doesn't mean that it wouldn't completely whip the G5 iMac when both are loaded with 2 GB

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
As is generally the case, it seems the hardware is ready, but the software is not.

It's unknown outside of Apple whether 10.4.4 was compiled with the gcc compiler or an alpha/beta version of Intel's optimizing compiler. I tend to think gcc was used (it would make sense to use a stable, tested compiler for something as important as the operating system).

If Leopard will be compiled with a release version of Intel's optimizing compiler, we may see these benchmarks improve on this basis alone.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
dwd3885 said:
interesting, maybe i should keep my PowerMac Dual Core 2ghz afterall!

Lots of the tests are for applications that I don't expect to take advantage of a dual processor system on their own, so in many cases your PowerMac Dual Core will not be much faster than the iMac G5 either. They should start Handbrake encoding a DVD, and _then_ run all their benchmarks at the same time, and you will see the dual processor system smoking the single processor system.

Some of these tests make you wonder what's going on. Benchmarking BBEdit??? That is ridiculous.

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
Personally I would still have no hesitation at all going for a Dual G5 PowerMac. As for the iMac I'd probably go Intel over G5 at this point but only because the graphics chipset is so good. Remember Universal binary will still run properly on the legacy hardware -- it isn't going to be like the way PowerPC optimized stuff ran on the 68000 series at all.

On the notebook end of things however, going for the MacBook over a G4 PowerBook is a no-brainer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.