Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Hi everyone,

I made an iDVD project composed of slideshows made in iMovie with some music.

My iBook doesn't have a superdrive, so I burned the iMovie files on CD's, and the iDVD project on another CD. (Files were too large to put onto just one CD)

I took these CD's and a blank DVD to my school's lab, where I was going to burn it using their superdrive-equiped PowerMac. This is where I ran into a problem.

My iMovie files were now folders instead of the files they once were, and my iDVD project appeared fine, but iDVD said it could not open it.

Does any one know what happened, and/or how I can burn my DVD without buying an external burner?

Thanks for the help!

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
You can always buy a INTERNAL dvd burner for ur ibook...Unless its DVD studio pro only, you have to have a superdrive built in to be able to burn your dvd projects...Can't help you on this one..

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
The best thing i can think of is, are the two versions of iLife the same?

I grabbed this from iMovie's help feature, maybe try again.

Importing a clip from another iMovie project

You can import video and audio clips from one iMovie project into another.

In your current iMovie project, choose File > Import.

Select the clip in the Media folder of the movie you are importing from.

Click Open. The imported clip appears in the Clips pane of your current iMovie project.

If you don't know the name of the clip you want to import, open the other project in iMovie, select the clip you want to use, and then choose File > Show Info to see the name of the clip.

I think if your still having problems to use quicktime pro to export the movie to an uncompressed format and transfer it to the powermac and redo your iDvd. Unless you can figure out how to fix the prob.

Sorry if this was not to much help.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
In iDVD 05 you can Burn to Image (under File IIRC) and that will create a Disc Image of your DVD. Then you can hook up your iBook to a DVD Burner and just use the Disc Burner program in OS X or Toast if you prefer. Or you can hook it to another Mac with a SuperDrive and transfer and burn from there. I did this ofr one of mine (copied to external HD and connected that to a Mac with SuperDrive) and it worked perfectly.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Thanks for the suggestions!

Never thought about version incompatibility...that's surely the case I imagine.

kgarner said:
In iDVD 05 you can Burn to Image (under File IIRC) and that will create a Disc Image of your DVD. Then you can hook up your iBook to a DVD Burner and just use the Disc Burner program in OS X or Toast if you prefer. Or you can hook it to another Mac with a SuperDrive and transfer and burn from there. I did this ofr one of mine (copied to external HD and connected that to a Mac with SuperDrive) and it worked perfectly.

This sounds like the easiest method, since I won't have to redo any of my projects (even though they are tiny lol).

What would be the best way to hook up the iBook to the PowerMac? Network cable, firewire?

Thanks again!

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Josh said:
Thanks for the suggestions!

Never thought about version incompatibility...that's surely the case I imagine.

This sounds like the easiest method, since I won't have to redo any of my projects (even though they are tiny lol).

What would be the best way to hook up the iBook to the PowerMac? Network cable, firewire?

Thanks again!

Could also burn to image, and just gmail it to yourself. Then you don't have to worry about hookin anything up.

and a firewire cable would be easiest. Connect the two, and turn on the iBook while holding down T. :)

Josh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Gmail! SWEET idea! Thanks a ton.

I'll have to take my iBook to work tomorrow and hook it up to our T1 to gmail it to my self (only dialup at home), but that is definitely an easy route.

Thanks so much everyone, I appreciate it!

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I am not sure if GMail will work. You only get a little over 2 GB currently and while the attachment size is larger than most, it does have a limit. The easiest option would be to hook up your iBook via Firewire and hold the 'T' key while booting to put it into Firewire Target Disk Mode. Then the PowerMac will just see it as a Firewire drive.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
FF_productions said:
You can always buy a INTERNAL dvd burner for ur ibook...Unless its DVD studio pro only, you have to have a superdrive built in to be able to burn your dvd projects...Can't help you on this one..
That was valid information about 7 months ago. Anyway, you could burn to disk image from iDVD 3 and 4 by using the easter egg. With iDVD 5, there's no trick to it; you can burn to disk image straight away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.