Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

911jason

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2020
Simi Valley, California
Hey all, upgraded from an 11” 2018 iPad Pro to a 12.9” 2022 iPad Pro. Had the magic keyboard with my 11” and have a new one for the 12.9”. The backlight on the new 12.9” keyboard is completely disabled until I take the iPad into a dark room. I don’t remember that being the case with my 11”.

In normal lighting conditions, when I go into settings, it does not allow me to adjust the brightness slider at all. The slider actually goes slightly wacko when I connect the iPad to the keyboard. (See GIF below). When I try to turn on the backlight using the quick settings toggle, nothing happens.

Everything works as normal in a dark room. Is this the expected behavior?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Yes it’s the expected behavior. I had two, one old and then one new and at some point the behavior changed not sure if it was hardware or software though.

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
The backlit only comes on when the ambient light is low - makes sense that way and saves battery.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Is this the expected behavior?
Yes. And even better for user confusion, the black MK and the white MK have different thresholds for when the backlight comes on. Crazy.

(Related story: when I was looking at MKs at an Apple Store, it was impossible to tell that the MKs even have backlights because the stores are so brightly lit the backlights never turn on! Worse, as we're discussing here, the Settings slider doesn't appear unless the backlight is on.)

Reactions: 911jason
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.