Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aMikeMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
Hey there,

after a while I started noticing some kind of black dots or dents if you want on the magic keyboard. It is the 2017 with numeric block.

I am curious what this is. It can't be wiped of and looks like scratches or something that came from factory but I did not notice?

There are similliar ones on the other side and really tiny even not visible across the keyboard from time to time. From what I observe, it does not really grow or smth like that.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    395.6 KB · Views: 1,138

aMikeMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
I have never worn such. I have only worn watches the first 3 days working with it. Since then never worn rings or watches when working with it. Maybe nail scratches?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Looks like pitting of the aluminum.

Keyboards are a "wear-susceptible" item. I'd just use it.
If it gets too objectionable, replace it.

Hmmm... still under warranty?
You might try bringing it to an Apple Store, and see what they say...

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Looks like pitting of the aluminum.

Keyboards are a "wear-susceptible" item. I'd just use it.
If it gets too objectionable, replace it.

Hmmm... still under warranty?
You might try bringing it to an Apple Store, and see what they say...

If you use the keyboard on a Mac that is still under warranty (including AppleCare extended warranty), it's covered... as the peripherals also get the benefit if that extended warranty coverage.

aMikeMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
Well, it is covered under AppleCare, I bought it 5 months ago with iMac 5k 2017.

But well, pitting... Pitting would grow over time right? I observe that and it looks like not growing? What is pitting caused by?

I want to buy a MacBook Pro 2017 silver and if that is case of pitting, so worried that MacBook would do the same? I did not notice it on iMac, iPad or Magic Mouse.

If that is pitting, it may be only on the keyboard because I use it so often and have my hands all day on it?

Do they replace one for one?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Again, take it to a brick-n-mortar Apple Store, and show it to them.
We can't really answer your questions.

aMikeMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2018
Okay thanks and what causes pitting? Are MacBook pros also vulnerable to it?

I have Apple Care for next 6 months so I will observe it. If it grows I will contact apple store. If not it is probably scratched.

It does not really affect my workflow and I can't wait for new keyboard for 2 weeks. So for now I will keep it but thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryan Bowler
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.