Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
I have a 12.9” M1 iPad Pro and a Magic Keyboard case. Both purchased brand new in June 2021 shortly after release. In the last six or so months, the trackpad on the Magic Keyboard intermittently stops working when browsing websites. Sometimes the click will not work, sometimes its the tracking, and sometimes its both issues at once. The thing is that, this can be happening when browsing one website, but then I can visit another website, and the trackpad works fine. And then I can go back to that first website a few hours later and the trackpad is working fine. After searching the web, it seems there are many people experiencing similar issues over the years. This is driving me nuts.

Is my Magic Keyboard dying, or is this some iOS or Magic Keyboard case software/firmware issue? Are all Magic Keyboard cases defective? Do I need to buy a new Magic Keyboard case?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
You only mention browsing but what about using it in other apps - do you see the same issues? If it's a problem with the case, it should be consistent across apps.

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
You only mention browsing but what about using it in other apps - do you see the same issues? If it's a problem with the case, it should be consistent across apps.
Seems to only happen when browsing the web. I think you’re right. If the case were “broken”, the issue should happen across apps. Hmm, this is so weird. I wonder what the heck is going on.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
yeah, Safari.

Odd, indeed. I also have an M1 12.9 and MKB and don't see this. Do you have any extensions enabled? If so, try turning them off. Is Request Desktop Website on? Is Page Zoom at 100%? I ask about these because that matches my working settings. You might also try Clear History and Website Data under Settings->Safari - a long shot but better than trying nothing.

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
Odd, indeed. I also have an M1 12.9 and MKB and don't see this. Do you have any extensions enabled? If so, try turning them off. Is Request Desktop Website on? Is Page Zoom at 100%? I ask about these because that matches my working settings. You might also try Clear History and Website Data under Settings->Safari - a long shot but better than trying nothing.
you know what, I do have two extensions installed and enabled, Wipr and Noir. I’ll try and disable those and see if that helps out. Request Desktop Website is on and Page Zoom is at 100%.

I appreciate your suggestions. Very kind of you to help 😀

Reactions: sparksd

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
You know what, I was wrong. I have experienced tracking issues (not clicking issues) outside of internet browsing. In fact, I just moved to the home screen of my iPad from an app, and the tracking froze. I pulled the iPad off the Magic Keyboard and placed it right back and tracking came back. Sometimes the cursor is visible when it freezes and sometimes it disappears.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
You know what, I was wrong. I have experienced tracking issues (not clicking issues) outside of internet browsing. In fact, I just moved to the home screen of my iPad from an app, and the tracking froze. I pulled the iPad off the Magic Keyboard and placed it right back and tracking came back. Sometimes the cursor is visible when it freezes and sometimes it disappears.

Rats. You can also try cleaning the contacts on the case and the back of the iPad.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Had similar issues in the past. Always fixed by agitating/cleaning the smart connector pins in the case.

Scarboose

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2018
I’d say be patient for another week or two. Apple should be releasing a new version of that keyboard any day now. Either get that one or your current one will be heavily discounted

tim0409

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
I’m having exactly the same issues as the OP, and the latest software hasn’t fixed it. From searching the internet I’m apparently not alone. I’ve done a couple of complete resets (not from back ups) and the problem persists. It is 16 months old so is covered by consumer law here in the UK (which is entirely reasonable as you would expect a £300 keyboard to last more than 12 months), and the retailer (John Lewis) sent it back to Apple who returned it without finding any faults, which isn’t surprising as it is intermittent.

Shifts

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2019
Having the same issue I think. Sometimes it helps to just wait, and it is like there is a lag, and then 20 seconds later the trackpad is working again. The mouse pointer keeps working, but two-finger scroll does not. But more often I have to remove the iPad and put it back again.

It is annoying, but happens so rarely that I can't be bothered to do much about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.