Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
It is very costly and I wish it was cheaper. It is the best keyboard for the iPad Pro though and is a great cover too. It's actually better than some of the Intel MBP keyboards. It really needs an Escape key instead of hunting for ways to Esc.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Purchased the Magic Keyboard and pencil with my new iPad Pro 12.9, but I just cant stomach the price of the keyboard when I look at what it is! Seems massively expensive, no?
It's going back either way since it can be had for cheaper at other non-Apple retailers, but even at half the price, its expensive considering what it is. Yes, I know - Apple tax - but the Apple tax here is extortionately high!

I agree it is overpriced. Still, I kept mine because it works very well and integrates well with the iPad. For the keyboard, I don’t like what the other brands produce.

Reactions: Tyler O'Bannon

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Real experience with their other products made from the same material. It doesn’t fair well in the long term unfortunately.

A quick google search of ‘Magic Keyboard wear’ confirms that in the majority of cases within 6 months this expensive case looks awful…
That does look bad. I’ve had my Magic Keyboard since 2020 and it still looks great! I bet a lot of how it wears comes down to how people treat/use it. I keep mine in a zip case when I’m transporting it. I also sewed a vinyl leather pad the size of the keyboard footprint and this pad is used whenever I’m using the Magic Keyboard on cafe tables and other surfaces I consider a bit icky. And yes, the vinyl pad slips easily into my zip case which also transports the Apple Pencil (which also I sewed a felt slip-on case for :) ). All this is to say I take care of my tech items and it’s not like I‘m giving it “extra” care; it’s just how I am typically. :)

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
The iPad 9th gen and iPad Mini 5 are the last iPads to have Smart Covers. The 9th gen is the last to support the Apple Smart Keyboard Cover. The MSRP of the Apple Pencil 2 is 50% higher than the Pencil 1.
The cost for Smart Folios is indeed much higher than the Smart Cover, but it helps protect the back of the iPad and has a more secure fit in fairness. It's also the closest to the old Smart Case that Apple used to make for iPad, for those who dislike third-party cases. I ran a Smart Cover with Leather Sleeve for my old 12.9" iPad, and I would've preferred the Folio personally had it existed then.

Reactions: sracer

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
That does look bad. I’ve had my Magic Keyboard since 2020 and it still looks great! I bet a lot of how it wears comes down to how people treat/use it. I keep mine in a zip case when I’m transporting it. I also sewed a vinyl leather pad the size of the keyboard footprint and this pad is used whenever I’m using the Magic Keyboard on cafe tables and other surfaces I consider a bit icky. And yes, the vinyl pad slips easily into my zip case which also transports the Apple Pencil (which also I sewed a felt slip-on case for :) ). All this is to say I take care of my tech items and it’s not like I‘m giving it “extra” care; it’s just how I am typically. :)
Wow, very smart idea, the padding for cafe tables, etc. By far this is the scenario that gets mine the most wear. If I could do it over again I would get the black not white, and immediately put some kind of similar protection on the bottom. Sadly the corners also fray easily, very similar to the images James Godfrey posted up-thread.

That being said, for work and for leisure, nothing beats the ease of being able to magnetically attach and detach the MK, for example to write this post, then return to holding it w/o keyboard.

As many have said already, yep it’s obscenely expensive, but I don’t regret it. It’s paid for itself and then some based on the usage I’ve got from it already.

Until they release an 11” macbook again (one can dream) this will continue to be my go-to for commuting and not-at-home work. And even then, there are perks to being able to detach the keyboard…

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The cost for Smart Folios is indeed much higher than the Smart Cover, but it helps protect the back of the iPad and has a more secure fit in fairness. It's also the closest to the old Smart Case that Apple used to make for iPad, for those who dislike third-party cases. I ran a Smart Cover with Leather Sleeve for my old 12.9" iPad, and I would've preferred the Folio personally had it existed then.
👍
That is why I said that if one finds the price obscenely expensive then it isn't for them. Clearly, the increased price is worth it to you. That's great! For those of us who prefer a smart cover, that isn't an option anymore.

Reactions: mansplains

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
*and the lack of fn keys and ESC (lack of fn keys+ the functions that come with it,mute,vol down up ' brightness up down ' media play pause next previous ,DND,
You can, however, map the Globe key to be Esc. It’s not ideal of course, placement is wrong and it doesn’t replace all the other keys… but I have found it to be handy.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Real experience with their other products made from the same material. It doesn’t fair well in the long term unfortunately.

A quick google search of ‘Magic Keyboard wear’ confirms that in the majority of cases within 6 months this expensive case looks awful…
No, the search confirms that in SOME cases that happens. You haven’t proven a majority, far from it.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
I actually sold my M2 MacBook Air for the iPad Pro!
I wanted touch sensitivity and the Apple Pencil to use while creating 3D designs etc - makes the process easier.
Guess it all comes down to your use case....
WoW , how’s it going for you?

I tried to use it and after 5mns I already get frustrated by iPadOS restrictions

Reactions: Tyler O'Bannon

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
This product falls into the same situation as many apple products, especially accessories: they are the best, and they are the most expensive. The experience of using the MK is bar none. It is also expensive. I always rationalize it by thinking about how many years of enjoyment and productivity it will give me. In 5 years, $200 or $350 doesn’t matter as much as it did at the time of purchase. And I’m often glad I went with the best.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
It's worth $25-45. In fact, it should arguably be included with the iPad. But we know Apple is never going to go for that. It's up to the consumer to either put up with it or buy something else.

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
Are you willing to pay for it? That’s the only relevant question.

Love mine and I don’t feel like I overpaid. I’d buy it again. There are other options and I am not interested in them.

I wouldn’t call it overpriced but I’d call it a luxury for sure.

Reactions: Nhwhazup

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
No, the search confirms that in SOME cases that happens. You haven’t proven a majority, far from it.
From personal experience every and I mean every apple case made of that odd silicon material looks awful after 6 months of heavy use, that’s the nature of the material unfortunately.

Don’t get me wrong the hinges etc on the case are fantastic my partner has one, but the material is very poor.

This is a $300-$350 accessory which uses the same material as a $5 iPad case off amazon, it’s ridiculous. It’s hard to prove whether the majority of cases end up looking like the photos as I don’t know everybody, similarly, can you 100% tell me that the Magic Keyboard will look perfect after 6 months use and is extremely hard wearing, and wears like a $350 Keyboard should do with general usage, no you can’t as you can’t speak for everybody.

Yours may be perfect after 6 months, that’s great but from experience with that rubbish rubber like material apple uses, the quality of the material used is no better than a cheap case off Amazon.

Reactions: ericwn and nStyle

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
WoW , how’s it going for you?

I tried to use it and after 5mns I already get frustrated by iPadOS restrictions

I have a MBP16 M1 Max as well, so I didn’t miss the MBA too much. When I need to do any real work I go to my desk where the MBP16 is always waiting. The iPad is more for general use around the house, for which its fine, as well as some 3D modelling, for which the pencil comes in very handy.…
So far, so good!
The keyboard though, while lovely, will be going back. I can get a new sealed one for almost half the price on eBay, so will most likely go that route. I have no complaints with it, its just ridiculously priced and I can’t quite stomach it at this price point!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
It’s a luxury item for sure but I’ll keep it for a few more years and be happy I have it each time I use it. When I trade up, my electronics get many more years of use by my grandkids. So we get our money’s worth out of it.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
I went with the Logitech keyboard case,
Fully covers the iPad
Has a bigger trackpad
Has backlit keys
Has function keys
And not least of all, HALF the cost!
Anything you dislike about it? As much as I do like the Apple one, I’ve read good things about the Logitech one also. It’s good to have options, and I may try the Logitech in the future.

JMStearnsX2

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2020
Anything you dislike about it? As much as I do like the Apple one, I’ve read good things about the Logitech one also. It’s good to have options, and I may try the Logitech in the future.
So far no, I like the texture of it, and the way the keys feel. Backlight on the keys is awesome, and I like having those function keys. If there was a drawback, it doesn't work well in your lap.

Reactions: ndouglas

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
I have a MBP16 M1 Max as well, so I didn’t miss the MBA too much. When I need to do any real work I go to my desk where the MBP16 is always waiting. The iPad is more for general use around the house, for which its fine, as well as some 3D modelling, for which the pencil comes in very handy.…
So far, so good!
The keyboard though, while lovely, will be going back. I can get a new sealed one for almost half the price on eBay, so will most likely go that route. I have no complaints with it, its just ridiculously priced and I can’t quite stomach it at this price point!
Hahah ok , I thought you completely replaced your Mac with an ipad only . Makes sense now

Yeah get it for cheaper on eBay indeed

Reactions: Ifti

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Horribly, terribly overpriced… but the experience of it is SO much better than any of the 3rd party alternatives…
therefore, it’s not over priced.
If you can’t get the same experience cheaper, then clearly it’s not overpriced because it’s the best experience for the most money.
It’s just “expensive” which is different than over priced.
Something like the iPhone 14+ is over priced.
You can get 13 pro max with a better display, better camera system, etc for cheaper, therefore it’s overpriced.
You can’t get a totally equal in quality iPad keyboard for any cheaper than the Magic Keyboard.
That’s what separates something being “over priced” from just being “expensive”.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I bought one back in November and I just opened it today. Up until today, I was pretty sure I was going to take it back. $299 is a pretty hefty price. I may still return it. I have until 1/14 to return it to Best Buy. I hate returning open Apple things which is why I left it sitting unopened for over a month.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
therefore, it’s not over priced.
If you can’t get the same experience cheaper, then clearly it’s not overpriced because it’s the best experience for the most money.
It’s just “expensive” which is different than over priced.
Something like the iPhone 14+ is over priced.
You can get 13 pro max with a better display, better camera system, etc for cheaper, therefore it’s overpriced.
You can’t get a totally equal in quality iPad keyboard for any cheaper than the Magic Keyboard.
That’s what separates something being “over priced” from just being “expensive”.
Second this. I never heard the keyboard was peeled in the first month of (normal) use. Complains are usually on price and function keys. It varied from one person to another, whether the money spent can justify its value or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.