Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
I've had a Magic Keyboard since 2018, I used to like the product. My most recent one developed a problem with the hinge. I have a 2021 M1 2TB iPad Pro connected to it, with AppleCare+. I contacted apple, they said to bring it in, closest store is an hour drive. I rescheduled a few times and finally just requested they send the box they offered on my first inquiry. I was told that is no longer an option and I'd have to pay $324 to get the keyboard fixed or replaced. I asked about my coverage, they told me the second time that wasn't an option. I can either send it in, with a hold of 57 dollars and an end amount of 324, or take it to a store an hour from me to do the same thing. Now I have a Magic Keyboard that won't close completely. I think this is my last iPad and possibly apple product.

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
I've had a Magic Keyboard since 2018, I used to like the product. My most recent one developed a problem with the hinge. I have a 2021 M1 2TB iPad Pro connected to it, with AppleCare+. I contacted apple, they said to bring it in, closest store is an hour drive. I rescheduled a few times and finally just requested they send the box they offered on my first inquiry. I was told that is no longer an option and I'd have to pay $324 to get the keyboard fixed or replaced. I asked about my coverage, they told me the second time that wasn't an option. I can either send it in, with a hold of 57 dollars and an end amount of 324, or take it to a store an hour from me to do the same thing. Now I have a Magic Keyboard that won't close completely. I think this is my last iPad and possibly apple product.
Rep scheduled a call with a Senior Advisor, took the call 10 minutes late (no big deal) told me the same thing, AppleCare + doesn't cover the keyboard. This is my last iPad, I had a 14in MBP in mind, no more. Apple sucks, customer service used to be top tier. Now, total crap, f apple

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
Rep scheduled a call with a Senior Advisor, took the call 10 minutes late (no big deal) told me the same thing, AppleCare + doesn't cover the keyboard. This is my last iPad, I had a 14in MBP in mind, no more. Apple sucks, customer service used to be top tier. Now, total crap, f apple
That’s a lie, not calling you a liar but the reps don’t know what they are talking about, they do cover Magic Keyboards for iPads, you need to escalate this:

Hardware coverage​

Get unlimited incidents of accidental damage protection1
Get battery service if it retains less than 80% of its original capacity
AppleCare+ provides repair or replacement coverage, both parts and labor, from Apple-authorized technicians.
Service coverage includes the following:
  • Your iPad
  • Battery1
  • Apple Pencil1
  • Apple‑branded iPad keyboard
  • Included USB cable and power adapter
  • Unlimited incidents of accidental damage protection, each subject to a service fee of $49 for iPad and $29 for Apple Pencil or Apple‑branded iPad keyboard, plus applicable tax
I have had mine replaced three times. The last time they mentioned that they can only do ”it” if it was bought with the original iPad but mine was. I hate that disconnect between reps because they don’t leave notes about the previous service tech, the apple Magic Keyboard was released in 2020 though not 2018. Mind you I paid the $49 accidental damage fee but you need to show them the website. They can’t argue with apple branded iPad keyboard which the Magic Keyboard falls under.

Reactions: Alameda

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2020
Thank you, I'll try one more time. If they don't honor the AppleCare+ (with the BS amount they charge, thats enough for me)
The only "but" they tried to tell me was the purchase date of the ipad but I was firm and never wavered when I showed the website never mentioned anything about a purchase date, but they do honor the "Apple" branded keyboard for it.

I completely understand the pushback to not replace because I have been told no multiple times, I show them the site, but I like to sweeten the deal by offering to pay for the accidental damage fee of $49 which is a hell of lot cheaper than the 349 IMHO.

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
The only "but" they tried to tell me was the purchase date of the ipad but I was firm and never wavered when I showed the website never mentioned anything about a purchase date, but they do honor the "Apple" branded keyboard for it.

I completely understand the pushback to not replace because I have been told no multiple times, I show them the site, but I like to sweeten the deal by offering to pay for the accidental damage fee of $49 which is a hell of lot cheaper than the 349 IMHO.
They didn't even mention that, just a hold on the 300 plus dollar fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.