Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelhinch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Will stat off by saying I love the Magic Keyboard for my 2018 11” iPad Pro and the trackpad has changed how I use the iPad in ways I never imagined, it really makes it a real contender for a laptop substitute.

I have a weird issue where the two finger scrolling will randomly stop working after some time. Unsure if anyone else is experiencing this so wanted to get some thoughts on this. From that I can see, maybe it is a software bug.

What breaks?
- Only two finger scrolling on the trackpad will randomly stop working, I then have to use the screen to scroll.

What continues to work?
- Everything else continue to work fine, all other gestures continue to work, including pointing and multi touch *three finger expose for example*
- Back light continues to work fine with no black outs, so doesn’t seem to be a connection issue.

Then when I disconnect and reconnect (pickup the iPad from the Magic Keyboard and then sit it back down) the Magic Keyboard. It begins working again.

Has anyone had issues with two finger scrolling with a Magic Trackpad for example via Bluetooth? This would for me confirm software issue and not something related to the Magic Keyboard case.

Last edited:

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Hi all

I love the Magic Keyboard for my 2018 11” iPad Pro

I have a weird issue where the two finger scrolling will stop working after some time. Unsure if anyone else is seeing this and wanted to get thoughts on maybe its a software bug.

- Two finger scrolling on the trackpad will stop working, i will have to use the screen to scroll.

- All other gestures continue to work, including pointing and multitouch *three finger expose for exsmple*
- Oly scrolling is affected
- Backlight continues to work fine, so doesn’t seem to be a connection issue
Yes, others had similar issues. I have.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Ive had this issue in the last week. Turning on assistive touch in the accessibility settings seems to solve the issue.

medulla

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
Will stat off by saying I love the Magic Keyboard for my 2018 11” iPad Pro and the trackpad has changed how I use the iPad in ways I never imagined, it really makes it a real contender for a laptop substitute.

I have a weird issue where the two finger scrolling will randomly stop working after some time. Unsure if anyone else is experiencing this so wanted to get some thoughts on this. From that I can see, maybe it is a software bug.

What breaks?
- Only two finger scrolling on the trackpad will randomly stop working, I then have to use the screen to scroll.

What continues to work?
- Everything else continue to work fine, all other gestures continue to work, including pointing and multi touch *three finger expose for example*
- Back light continues to work fine with no black outs, so doesn’t seem to be a connection issue.

Then when I disconnect and reconnect (pickup the iPad from the Magic Keyboard and then sit it back down) the Magic Keyboard. It begins working again.

Has anyone had issues with two finger scrolling with a Magic Trackpad for example via Bluetooth? This would for me confirm software issue and not something related to the Magic Keyboard case.

Same issue with me.
Also sometimes the backlight continues to stay on even though the iPad is off. Just disconnecting the iPad from the keyboard and reattaching it fixes it.

Reactions: thefourthpope

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Folks, here is what Apple says. First, Apple has never heard of these issues and they talk to billions of people a day. If you're experiencing an issue, the first thing you need to do is a hard reboot of the keyboard. If the issue persists, you need erase the keyboard and set it up as new. If the issues continues, you need to plug your keyboard into a computer and do a fresh installation of the OS. Once the OS is installed, you'll need to set-up the keyboard as new (i.e., do NOT restore from a backup). If the issue continues, you'll need an escalation to Engineering. Apple will send you a tool that you'll need to use to do a sysdiagnose, with Mail logging enabled. Once the logs are collected, you'll upload them to Apple and Engineering will get back to you within 24-48 hr. If the issue persists after that, Apple's official position on the matter is that this is a known unknown issue and to keep your keyboard updated to the latest OS.

I think that about covers it - happy troubleshooting!

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Folks, here is what Apple says. First, Apple has never heard of these issues and they talk to billions of people a day. If you're experiencing an issue, the first thing you need to do is a hard reboot of the keyboard. If the issue persists, you need erase the keyboard and set it up as new. If the issues continues, you need to plug your keyboard into a computer and do a fresh installation of the OS. Once the OS is installed, you'll need to set-up the keyboard as new (i.e., do NOT restore from a backup). If the issue continues, you'll need an escalation to Engineering. Apple will send you a tool that you'll need to use to do a sysdiagnose, with Mail logging enabled. Once the logs are collected, you'll upload them to Apple and Engineering will get back to you within 24-48 hr. If the issue persists after that, Apple's official position on the matter is that this is a known unknown issue and to keep your keyboard updated to the latest OS.

I think that about covers it - happy troubleshooting!
?The satire is wonderful! But unfortunately those do tend to be the recommended steps?‍♂️ But you know you’ll get comments telling you the keyboard has no software.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Had the same issues last week where the trackpad just stop working. All I had to do was remove it and then place it back on the keyboard and its started to work again.

Maojia

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2017
Had the same issue yesterday. I rebooted my iPad then it worked again.

Also, I got touch click not working correctly once. Every first click doesn’t work. Second works.

edmooredop

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2018
Same problem here. Taking iPad off and back on the Magic Keyboard resolved it. Hopefully will get picked up next iOS bug fix release.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
Pretty reproducible issue just keep single finger tapping the touchpad really quick for a minute and then two finger scroll becomes really intermittent, reseating the iPad fixes it.

Apples Apples Everywhere

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2017

FWIW I use an Apple desktop keyboard and trackpad via Bluetooth and so far that never fails.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
This issue is a bit maddening. This is such a small thread, guessing it’s not a widespread issue? Single tapping shuts off two finger scrolling for a moment. Restarting, updating, unseating the ipad—none of those suggestions fix it.

Reactions: BWhaler

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
This issue is a bit maddening. This is such a small thread, guessing it’s not a widespread issue? Single tapping shuts off two finger scrolling for a moment. Restarting, updating, unseating the ipad—none of those suggestions fix it.
Oh, it‘s still happening and much, much worse in 14.4.2. I hadn’t used my MKB for a month or two but attached it today and saw how bad this trackpad issue is. I never had it like this in the prior iPadOS.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Oddly enough, it seems as if the problem arises when I stop using the iPad for a while. I have both the 11 and 12.9. I stopped using the 11 and started using my 12.9. After a few days, the problem ceased. I went back to the 11, and suddenly the 11 started having the problem. We’ll see if letting the 12.9 sit for a while bring the problem out again. Such an annoying bug!

Swick89

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2021
I finally figured out the solution to this. I found it by trailing through the forums.
You just have to deactivate assistive touch. Scrolling working perfectly after that.
Good luck

I am Murphy

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2021
Good god this actually worked. It’s been driving me mad, I have even replaced the keyboard thinking it might be a related SW bug on the keyboard. This is the new keyboard 10 mins after receiving it and it was still having the same issue.

Thanks @Swick89 !!!

TURN OFF ASSISTIVE TOUCH!

iToNe24

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2011
NY
I can fix the issue temporally by unmounting and mounting back on the keyboard.
I also have assistive touch active … so we have to keep that off in order to not get this issue.
WoW that is annoying that we cannot use that function due to this bug.

Violet_Antelope

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
It happens all the time on my mum's iPad and we use assistive touch a lot, so I really don't want to turn it off! Given how long this has been happening for, do you think Apple will ever release a fix? Is it a 'bug' in the software or something more major does anyone know? Reseating the iPad does solve it so far, but as others have said here, that gets very irritating pretty fast!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.