Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joelcarlos

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Miami
I installed last night the last beta (20A5364e), and everything went fine except for the Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard, the randomly lag, or get irresponsive for a few seconds, it's driving me crazy. I tried resetting the PRAM and SMC but with no luck. Any advice?

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 9.00.46 AM.png

Reactions: Loog

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I have a perhaps similar problem, running the same build on a MBP 13 2019 and without fail, if my computer goes to sleep, my mouse and keyboard disconnect from bluetooth and only a restart will get them connected again. Shame really, as the previous beta did not have this problem for me. Haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere, but could be related, and hope it is fixed up in the next beta and that is released quickly :p

yyzspotter

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
I think I'm having something similar - late 2014 imac here, and have had ZERo issue on the beta (same one as you) but as of tonight, my magic keyboard and magic mouse keep disconnecting "Connection Lost" and reconnecting.. Randomly, and over and over.

I've tried resetting the bluetooth settings, disconnecting the devices, readding them, nothing. I keep getting the same response.

Loog

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2020
Seeing a similar issue with the trackpad on my MBA 2018, hope this is resolved for the final release.

gabem82

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
Same problem, 16" MBP. So frustrating. I keep sending messages with the last letter cut off. For some reason return works before the last character of what I am typing shows up.

bjjp2

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Since I updated to Big Sur this is driving me crazy. Any solutions?

Joelcarlos

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Miami
For me this still happens once in a while. Usually when I have connected 3 Bluetooth input devices, in my case my Keychron K2 Keyboard + Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad. When starts I usually turn off the trackpad and the stuttery stops immediately, which is not ideal.

mappyuk

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
Still happening to me, one of the more annoying of the persistent Big Sur bugs. Magic Keyblard and trackpad become stuttery normally after iMac comes out of sleep. Resolves when I switch keyboard and trackpad off and on. On 11.2.3. IMac 2020

Peva

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
Same here, Late 2015 iMac 27 inch.
Trackpad and keyboard lagging and missing letters while typing.
Resetting PRAM and SMC doen't help.

typ993

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2006
Edmonds, Washington
Updated from Mojave to Big Sur a couple of weeks ago, figured the coast was clear (so to speak). But no, I've run into this bug as well (Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse on a 2017 27" iMac). As mappyuk noted, seems to happen after waking the iMac. Another weird side effect is that the diacritical mark popup often appears when trying to type in this situation. I've reported this collection of problems to Apple as a bug.

Peva

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
Updated from Mojave to Big Sur a couple of weeks ago, figured the coast was clear (so to speak). But no, I've run into this bug as well (Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse on a 2017 27" iMac). As mappyuk noted, seems to happen after waking the iMac. Another weird side effect is that the diacritical mark popup often appears when trying to type in this situation. I've reported this collection of problems to Apple as a bug.
I just resolved the problem by consecutively:
1. Resetting the SMC. (disconnect the power cable from the back of the iMac, wait 15 sec., connect again and restart.
2. Zapped the NV PRAM (cmd-opt-P-R and I let it chime 3 times). After restart:
3. opt-shift >Bluetooth menubar> Reset Bluetooth module. (still nothing)
4. opt-shift >Bluetooth menubar> Factory reset all connected Apple devices. (this caused the trackpad to be unresponsive, so I had to hook up a wired mouse and:
5. Deleted the Bluetooth prefs in the User Library Preferences.
Then I restarted (still using the wired mouse) and the Bluetooth setup window appeared.
The Trackpad showed up and asked to connect.
Trackpad connected, and no lag anymore in the keyboard or Trackpad.

digdug24

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2021
Any of you still having this problem (which I did), make sure you aren't keeping USB3 external drives around the back hinge of your laptops or desktops. I was confounded trying to figure out what was causing a jumpy mouse and keyboard, and found a note on Apple's tech docs that states:

Some USB 3 devices, hard drives in particular, can generate radio frequency interference that can cause Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices operating in the 2.4GHz band to have issues communicating with your computer. Do not place hard drives or other USB devices behind the rear of your Mac near at the hinge of your screen. The antennas for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are located there, and USB 3 devices placed there may interfere with your wireless connections. See this white paper for more information.

I moved my plugged in Time Machine WD hard drive to the other side of the computer and the mouse instantly went back to normal.

Now, if I could only put the hair back in that was pulled out trying to solve this riddle, I'd be in business.

ecatomb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2021
France
I have similar bug sometimes : magic keyboard and trackpad stop working like if bluetooth stopped. Have to turn it off and on again to have it back.
I'm using an usbc external drive for TM. But it only happened 1-2 times per week so...

Kontikonsumi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
Any of you still having this problem (which I did), make sure you aren't keeping USB3 external drives around the back hinge of your laptops or desktops. I was confounded trying to figure out what was causing a jumpy mouse and keyboard, and found a note on Apple's tech docs that states:

I moved my plugged in Time Machine WD hard drive to the other side of the computer and the mouse instantly went back to normal.

Now, if I could only put the hair back in that was pulled out trying to solve this riddle, I'd be in business.
Do you have any source for that document? Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.