Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I have a Magic Keyboard Touch with my Mac Studio. With Sonoma, periodically, the touch functionality is lost.
I usually try several things, and one of them will finally restore the function:
- Forget the keyboard and attach it to reconnect with the Lightning cable
- Restart
- Repeat both

Right now, it also refuses to enable App Store ID via touch.

Have others seen this? Does anybody have a permanent fix?

gearboxsg

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2020
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago and I was able to resolve it by doing the following:

1. Removing fingerprints (if any or able) from the Touch ID settings panel under System Preferences
  2. Removing the magic keyboard from Bluetooth options panel
  3. Connecting keyboard to lightning cable
  4. Turning off the magic keyboard and leaving it off for at least 2 minutes
  5. Shutting down the Mac and letting it stay off for a minimum of 30 seconds and then rebooting and signing back into my user account (via password)
  6. Going back to Bluetooth options and once again turning keyboard off and then removing it from my connectable devices (you may need to unplug it from the lightning cable to do this. Once you have disconnected and removed the keyboard then plug it back into the lighting cable).
  7. Turn the keyboard back on.
  8. At this point, if all of this has worked, then you should get a message prompting you to set up the Touch ID on your keyboard. Just follow the prompts to re-capture your fingerprints and complete the set-up process.
  9. When done setting up Touch ID, go to the System Preferences and you should be able to see the Touch ID icon is back and you will be able to access the options there. Make sure that all the options you want your Touch ID to do (i.e. Unlocking your Mac) are checked and you should be good to go. To test if it is working fine, lock your Mac and it should prompt you for your fingerprint or your password to log in.

I found this on reddit and it worked for me long term... fingers crossed it's been weeks since I last saw this issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.