Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cansuds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2018
My Magic Trackpad 2 has suddenly stopped providing haptic feedback when I click it. I am on a iMac (27-inch, 2019) running Monterey 12.0.1

after updating it is gone!

I've tried unpairing and then repairing it. Not sure of its a hardware issue or a software problem.

kishyr

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2015
The same thing happened to me today, but not directly after updating (also on macOS 12.0.1). Just suddenly haptic feedback was gone around midday.

If I turn it off for a while (5 min) and turn it back on, it works again, but then goes away 10 seconds later… Wonder if it updated the firmware automatically?

cansuds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2018
i tried it on another computer. monterey works on a device that does not have it installed.
this is a complete Monterey problem.
The same thing happened to me today, but not directly after updating (also on macOS 12.0.1). Just suddenly haptic feedback was gone around midday.

If I turn it off for a while (5 min) and turn it back on, it works again, but then goes away 10 seconds later… Wonder if it updated the firmware automatically?

kishyr

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2015
i tried it on another computer. monterey works on a device that does not have it installed.
this is a complete Monterey problem.
I turned my Magic Trackpad 2 off on Wednesday afternoon and began using my old Magic Trackpad 1 again in the interim.

Tried using the Magic Trackpad 2 again on Friday (having been off for > 24 hours) and … it started working again. Was able to use it all weekend with no issues.

I really have no idea what’s going on or what caused/fixed this.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
There’s definitely something going on with Magic Trackpad. I installed the latest beta on my new 16” M1 Max MBP. Everything worked perfectly for 2 days, then all 3 and 4 finger gestures stopped working. I tried unpairing/re-pairing, using another Magic Trackpad, and connecting via usb-c/lightening cable and none of this fixed the issue. I had to shut down / boot up the MBPro to restore 3+ finger gestures. I initially thought this was an issue with the new MBPro since it never occurred with my M1 Mac Mini; but after seeing this thread I think it may be due to the Monterey beta. I reported the issue via Feedback Assistance but have not received any follow- up.

cansuds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2018
There’s definitely something going on with Magic Trackpad. I installed the latest beta on my new 16” M1 Max MBP. Everything worked perfectly for 2 days, then all 3 and 4 finger gestures stopped working. I tried unpairing/re-pairing, using another Magic Trackpad, and connecting via usb-c/lightening cable and none of this fixed the issue. I had to shut down / boot up the MBPro to restore 3+ finger gestures. I initially thought this was an issue with the new MBPro since it never occurred with my M1 Mac Mini; but after seeing this thread I think it may be due to the Monterey beta. I reported the issue via Feedback Assistance but have not received any follow- up.
I tried it on my friend's computer. big sur was loaded. It worked without problems. It's just a monterey bug. I reported it to Apple, but there was no solution to solve the problem.

Reactions: heretiq

cansuds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2018
there are also a lot of users who have this problem.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 3.04.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 3.04.33 AM.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 827

Wave Jumper

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2021
New to MacRumors and cannot believe I have not come across this before great forum. Interestingly I have the same issues with my Trackpads, I say interesting its very frustrating they have all gone down now no clicks for me and judging by the comments I see here it does not look like the issue is going to get resolved any time soon. :confused:

josiahlyoung

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2021
Just chiming in, same problem here. 27" iMac from 2017 and Monterey killed my "Force Click and haptic feedback." It's enabled in the system settings, and I've tried logging out and in and rebooting, disconnecting and reconnecting the trackpad, charging and restarting it, etc. Nothing has worked for me. However, I am seeing more things like this forum thread online, so I'm glad it's getting more general attention. Hopefully Apple acknowledges the bug soon!

Reactions: cansuds

Coco LaSienega

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2021
Well this is frustrating to read all of your trackpad troubles too-- mine stopped suddenly today before I updated to Monterey and it's just finishing the update. Not feeling so optimistic this will fix the problem!

yogeewan

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
interestingly, today I did a PRAM reset of my iMac and suddenly the Haptic Touch is back again. I will wait till tomorrow to see if it was just a momentary fix or its going to stay fixed!

cansuds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2018
SMC reset and PRAM reset are not working.
interestingly, today I did a PRAM reset of my iMac and suddenly the Haptic Touch is back again. I will wait till tomorrow to see if it was just a momentary fix or its going to stay fixed!

cansuds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2018
it doesn't really work this version is the worst mac version of Apple.
Yea, worked for about 20 mins till the system went to sleep, and then back to not working. Man, apple's QA with their own devices are frustrating now..

Reactions: mikeusry

cansuds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2018
12.1 Beta (21C5045a)
the problem is also not solved in this version.

webhill

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
Whatever causes this problem, it's not at all unique to Monterey. My 2012 27" iMac is still running Catalina, and just within the past week, my magic trackpad's haptic feedback disappeared. Rebooting the trackpad will fix it for a bit, but then it stops working again. I don't know wtf is causing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.