Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
So I just picked up a monitor for the office and I am using a standard bluetooth mouse but I'm really missing my MBPs trackpad. I'm curious about the Magic Trackpad but I am not convinced it's worth the price. I know that's subjective obviously so that's why I'm here. Can people weigh in on using the trackpad on a bigger screen ? Is it the same experience as using the trackpad on the laptop or is it not as good ? Do people here prefer the Magic Mouse over the trackpad ? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks all !

itadampf

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2016
Europe
Have two of them, one for my Mac Pro and one for my hackintosh.

Best trackpad ever for me, and that’s it really.

I keep both cable connected.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
So I just picked up a monitor for the office and I am using a standard bluetooth mouse but I'm really missing my MBPs trackpad. I'm curious about the Magic Trackpad but I am not convinced it's worth the price. I know that's subjective obviously so that's why I'm here. Can people weigh in on using the trackpad on a bigger screen ? Is it the same experience as using the trackpad on the laptop or is it not as good ? Do people here prefer the Magic Mouse over the trackpad ? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks all !
Been using my trackpad only for 4+ years with my 27" iMac, not planning to ever use a mouse again

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
I'll chime in from the other end of the spectrum. I use a MacBook Pro and love using the built-in trackpad when I'm mobile. Since I like using the built-in trackpad when I'm undocked, I thought I would like using the Magic Trackpad when my MBP is docked on a stand...but it turns out I don't enjoy it quite as much as I thought I would.

With the trackpad on my desk, I'm finding it's somewhat uncomfortable to use after a period of time. Mainly because I have to rotate my hand/wrist to be more horizontal when using it. Whereas with a mouse, it's a little more ergonomic since I can have my wrist in its natural, slightly rotated position.

I also use a triple monitor setup when docked, so to move from one end to the other, I have to swipe the trackpad several times. This means my arm mostly stays still, but have to bend my wrist a few times to move the cursor. With a mouse, I can just slide my hand and forearm in one motion.

Having said all that, I do still have it on my desk and use it for the gestures, but primarily use my Magic Mouse for everything else. I'd say the trackpad works for some people, and not for others based on their desk setup and work flow. Personal experiences can also vary. Perhaps you could borrow one from a friend/co-worker to try out, or purchase somewhere that has a good return policy in case you end up not liking it.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Chiming back in: Bought the trackpad for my setup and been using it for the last 2 weeks. Definitely love it. A mouse might be a little easier but for the gesture support and force touch I'm happy with my purchase.

Reactions: kToni73

Maclomania

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2021
MS
I have the original and the latest Magic Mouse. But I love the Logitech MX series. Very comfy and the gesture button works like a charm. However, no mouse scrolls as smoothly as a Magic Mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.