Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AT0MAC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have the Razer Mamba 2012 mouse and use it a lot - but one thing I don't like about it is the rubber scroll wheel, there is nothing wrong with it I just don't like the feel.

I have a gift card laying around for a Danish electronics store were I can then buy a Apple Magic Trackpad pretty cheap but have looked online and the Wacom Bamboo Touch would cost me the same.

I have no need for the trackpad to be wireless, Im not going to move it around like I do the mouse anyway so cabled is fine.
I also like black better than silver, but could be fixed with a skin for the trackpad.

For short:

B003XIJ3MW-1._.jpg

or

wacom_bamboo_pen_touch-1.png

Wich is better and witch gives most functionality?

EDIT: Watched some videos on YouTube and found out the Bamboo Touch have very little functionality compared to the Magic T.
So, just ordered a DecalGirl Solid state black skin and going to pick up the MT later today.
Am sure it will match nicely my matt black Mamba and iSkin ProTouch keyboard skin.

Last edited:

gabicava83

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
I've got both...

Magic Trackpad > Bamboo Touch

Ah excellent.

Well, I took out my MX revolution mouse after it being in storage for 6 months, forgot how inaccurate it is, which is doing my nut in.

So thinking of getting the Magic Trackpad.

Are you finding it easy and better to use?

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
I don't know what everyone else does, but I could not use the Magic Trackpad for a day.

You may not notice this, but you rest your entire hand on the mouse/pad. There is no functional way to do this on the Trackpad; you have to keep your hand elevated the entire time. This gets very tiring. It's extremely impractical.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Rizzn, I see your point, hadn't thought about that.

It's certainly not a mouse replacement. I'm now interested in trying a Magic Mouse. I'm curious how multi-touch gestures work on it. It looks awkward to hold though.

gabicava83

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
It's certainly not a mouse replacement. I'm now interested in trying a Magic Mouse. I'm curious how multi-touch gestures work on it. It looks awkward to hold though.

The accuracy is better than the MX Revolution, however, it's very light and I cannot get on with it.

I just need a good mouse/tool for my work, cannot find one, might borrow one of the cheap wired Microsoft mouses from work and use that for a while.

I don't really do design stuff, just IT geeky stuff.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I don't know what everyone else does, but I could not use the Magic Trackpad for a day.

You may not notice this, but you rest your entire hand on the mouse/pad. There is no functional way to do this on the Trackpad; you have to keep your hand elevated the entire time. This gets very tiring. It's extremely impractical.

It did at first, but now that I am used to it, I don't even notice it anymore.

I came from a Revolution or similar and found the MM just too small. If it were bigger I might like it better. The gestures work fine, but you really can't let your hand rest on it either.

Last edited:

AT0MAC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
How did you get on with this, I am considering doing the same?

Thanks,

G.

I am really happy with my Magic Trackpad. I use it everyday for browsing the web and general mouse work - for the more serious stuff like drawing, photo editing, 3D sketches or gaming I have a Razer Mamba 2012 wireless mouse wich is absolute awesome and much much more precise than the trackpad.

Sometimes I host events and lectures and in those situation I have actually started to bring along my trackpad instead of the rather limited Apple Remote. The trackpad allow me to give practical examples and start apps, websites etc. wich was really a hassle with a remote and mouse/keyboard solution before. Now I just prepare the websites as bookmarks and move trough my keynotes within a 10 meter BlueTooth radius from my Mac.
Also, when standing up the trackpad is really easy to hold in two hands, just as long you don't touch the battery compartment as it then looses wireless range.

Last, I can highly recommend to give it a nice decal like the one I got from DecalGirl, it gives the trackpad a much more precise surface, like using a mousepad on a regular mouse. Though, not even close to as perfect tracking as I have on the Mamba, just better than stock.

BruceiD

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Belgium
Well I didn't know what to buy a couple weeks ago.
I decided to buy the Wacom Bamboo pen and touch and I'm very happy with it!
I use it daily both for the gestures and as a drawing device.
Depends on what you want to use it for. However I always recommend a wacom tablet, they're very well made and have a good quality!

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
I prefer the Magic Trackpad & Magic Mouse

I have the Bamboo Fun (larger size version of the Bamboo Touch) and I don't like it for the gestures because they are not the same as Apple's standard gestures. So if you are already accustom to Apple's gestures on a Macbook, then going back and forth to the Bamboo will be confusing to remember which one is 3 fingers. Plus I found the swipe on the Bamboo really needs a quick hand. It is not as fluid as the Magic Trackpad.

That said, I use both the Magic Trackpad and the Magic mouse together. The trackpad sits 1/2" to the right of my wireless Apple keyboard, and then the Magic Mouse on the right of that. I find that I still like the mouse for most of my cursor navigation (such as selecting windows and most clicking), but I use the Trackpad for the Lion gestures, Launchpad, and scrolling.

I find the combination to be really a great setup. The wacom only gets used when I need the stylus for Photoshop retouching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.