Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a solution for a specific workflow that involves multiple iPads in a dental office. I use iPads Pro 11" that are used to view X-Rays and diagnostic photos with the patients. When the iPads are not in use like this, they are mounted on top of the dental light and the patients use them for Netflix / Youtube / etc during their dental appointments. I've had this setup for 5 years and I am tired of plugging them in to charge, we found them drained way to often when we need them and the wires look ugly and are a pain to disinfect.

What I need is a magnetic mounting and charging solution. MagSafe would have been perfect for my workflow, but it doesn't yet exist directly from Apple. Still, what 3rd party solutions are available that can give me what I need? I have tried the regular Qi wireless charging adapter for iPads from Amazon and it does not work well. I am hoping that are more options available that I don't know of yet. I am thinking of a magnetic mount that use the smart connector for charging.

Thank you all.

Last edited:

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
Looks great although the price is a bit steep for the case plus stand. Still, I'd get them, I need a setup like this.
The Pitaka doesn't seem to support my iPads Pro 11 2018 though. I'll email them and see if what I have fits, the iPad Pro 11 hasn't changed as far as I know.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
the iPad Pro 11 hasn't changed as far as I know.
The size hasn't changed, but there are a couple differences. The 2nd gen (2020) and newer has a square camera module on the back (houses two cameras and a LiDAR scanner). Also, the position of the speaker holes on the top/bottom changed on the 3rd gen (2021) and newer.

I would think your iPads should "fit"…just that the speaker holes won't line up and have a bigger cutout than needed for the rear camera. I'm assuming that's why the 1st and 2nd gen aren't list as being compatible due to not having a perfect fit even though they may snap in fine.

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
I don't care for the speaker holes, all patient entertainemnt is done with headphones. Thank you for the explanation iStorm, hopefully it all fits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.