Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
Just wondering....

Do the magnets in certain flip/folio cases used to snap the case closed have any ill-effect on the ipod's HD?

I know they are only small magnets but don't magnets have a negative effect on HDs....

anyone know?

Nexxus

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
Even if it did have an effect on flash drives, the magnets in the cases aren't powerful enough to destroy anything. They are barely powerful enough to keep the flap in place.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
The only magnets that will likely affect flash based memory - would never get close enough to it on a day to day basis... Unless you have a job at NIF or you work on Z-Pinch machines, or at any job where magnetism is measured in Teslas.

But if you were in any of those scenarios - I'm fairly confident that your ipod will be the last thing you care about.

artic5693

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2007
Florida
yeh, my mate wrecked his 80 gig upod form the magnet on his case. he had the case from his phone and the magnet crashed the Hard Drive, apple replaced it though

That would be because the 80 GB iPod has a Hard Disk Drive, which IS affected by magnetic interference.

pindurs

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
I confirm the problem: I have a Itouch 2g and a leather case with magnets, and everytime I close it, even very softly, the Ipod freezes and I have to make a reset.
I know that the Itouch has no HD and I don't know the explanation, but there is no doubt...
I don't have the box of the case anymore, but the brand is microsopot (bought in switzerland).

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
I confirm the problem: I have a Itouch 2g and a leather case with magnets, and everytime I close it, even very softly, the Ipod freezes and I have to make a reset.
I know that the Itouch has no HD and I don't know the explanation, but there is no doubt...
I don't have the box of the case anymore, but the brand is microsopot (bought in switzerland).

In May/April, when I bought my 1G, there was ample discussion on this forum about the Griffin case with magnets. I had that case and saw no ill effects. However, while there were others that also had no problems, there were more than a few that DID have problems with that case and their 1G and some did pretty extensive testing that proved it at least DID effect their 1G. Not sure how or why, but I was convinced enough to take my case back on got the Griffin Elan instead. Note that I have been in the manufacturing testing and troubleshooting area for a military business for decades and I felt the people that systematically proved that their 1Gs had problems with magnetic cases had done a good and convincing job that some ARE in fact effected.

Now, as for 2G, I cannot say, except you DO seem to show at least some 2Gs might have a problem. I am guessing others will too, some won't. So it's a crap shoot with the 2G too.

Mike

FantomLad

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009

YES! I have the exact same problem with my ipod touch 2g 16gb. I even returned the ipod and got a new one, and then the same problem happened as soon as I put it in the case and closed the lid. I thought it was a rogue app or wifi or something but it's definitely the lid of the case being closed.

The case is a cygnett - the suede folio type one with a magnet in the bottom just above the menu button. Maybe the magnet interferes with the button.

I am going to buy a new case now - any suggestions!?

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
YES! I have the exact same problem with my ipod touch 2g 16gb. I even returned the ipod and got a new one, and then the same problem happened as soon as I put it in the case and closed the lid. I thought it was a rogue app or wifi or something but it's definitely the lid of the case being closed.

The case is a cygnett - the suede folio type one with a magnet in the bottom just above the menu button. Maybe the magnet interferes with the button.

I am going to buy a new case now - any suggestions!?

Can you post what type of case you bought? I bought this:
hc_folio_touch_med.jpg

I have no issues with this leather case.

falliston

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009
iPod Touch vs Magnets

OK, now I'm worried. I bought the iPod Touch 2G 16GB to be the central part of the sound system on my motorcycle. It rides in the glove compartment in the top of what looks like the gas tank (a Goldwing's actual fuel tank is under the seat, the visible 'tank' contains electronics and the radiator reservoir).

I have recently bought a tank bag to use on long trips and it attaches with heavy magnets. I may have to figure out some other way to carry the iPod on the bike...

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Can you post what type of case you bought? I bought this:
hc_folio_touch_med.jpg

I have no issues with this leather case.

A friend of mine has that same case. It's pretty nice and he's had it for a while and he hasn't had any issues. Magnets do worry me though but unless your setting off an EMP you don't need to worry.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
there is no hard drive so dont worry. besides, the magnet on the case is not strong enough to do anything. just enough to have a small connection.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
yeh, my mate wrecked his 80 gig upod form the magnet on his case. he had the case from his phone and the magnet crashed the Hard Drive, apple replaced it though

I guarantee you that that was not caused by the magnet.

That would be because the 80 GB iPod has a Hard Disk Drive, which IS affected by magnetic interference.

This has got to be one of the biggest misconceptions out there today. It is almost impossible for any normal magnet to in any way effect a hard drive. First, a hard drive is shielded, second, the magnets within the hard drive are very strong and it would take a very strong magnet to disrupt them. You will never have to worry about any magnet from a case, nor a magnet from an unshielded speaker, nor any household magnets you have lying around (unless you like to keep those really powerful ones).

jpodejko

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Small Speakers

Im trying to make a portable device for my ipod that amplifies a small 2 inch computer speaker, i was wondering if this got close to my ipod touch would it fry it? I watch some videos on youtube of magnets destroying ipod touches but they used strong magnets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.