Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
My magsafe is broken - right next to the power block, the wire leading to the magsafe/computer is kind of torn. The mantle is ripped open, it still holds, but it doesn't work anymore and I'm sure wouldn't be entirely free of danger to use. Now I took it to the local Authorized Service Provider (no Apple Stores in Germany), and they said they can't fix it unless Apple tells them to and told me to call Apple support. I did, and they said "The warranty ended 2 months ago, so we can't help you kthxbai". A new magsafe would be 85-100€. What do I do now? Is there any way around paying that much money?

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
My magsafe is broken - right next to the power block, the wire leading to the magsafe/computer is kind of torn. The mantle is ripped open, it still holds, but it doesn't work anymore and I'm sure wouldn't be entirely free of danger to use. Now I took it to the local Authorized Service Provider (no Apple Stores in Germany), and they said they can't fix it unless Apple tells them to and told me to call Apple support. I did, and they said "The warranty ended 4 months ago, so we can't help you kthxbai". A new magsafe would be 85-100€. What do I do now? Is there any way around paying that much money?

I'm not sure about Germany, but here in Finland one should get it replaced and since we're both in EU I think it applies to you too.
If you have bought that machine as an ordinary consumer (instead of a company) you should be covered by consumer protection laws (or directives). I believe consumer protection exceeds normal warranty and you should get it fixed for free. Maybe you should mention EU consumer protection (after you have studied it yourself) and maybe show them a pic of that magsafe so that they understand what's wrong with it.

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
As it is next to the power block, I assume "power block" means the actual power supply, you can open it and fix the cables yourself.

The warranty here in Germany is *by law* 2 years... So they should replace it anyways ! Or has Apple a workaround ?. If you buy it at Saturn, it is 2 years, so I think it should be also at the Apple store, no ? (I bought mine at the Apple store with Student discount...)... I would ask anyways. There are some power bricks made by third parties... some could be cheaper

SirCrumpet

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
you can open it and fix the cables yourself

WHOA - bad idea - the transformer itself hold some charge for a fair while after it is unplugged, and unless you are properly trained or know what you are doing and have the correct protection opening power bricks is NEVER a good idea.

Being a cheapskate is all well and good, but don't go risking your life to save a couple of dollars/euros/whatever.

GavinTing

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Singapore!
Try calling apple to get a different REP, some people have reported success in getting it replaced. If not, make a big issue out of it, saying how apple is trying to electrocute you. I'm sure they will get it replaced free.

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
WHOA - bad idea - the transformer itself hold some charge for a fair while after it is unplugged, and unless you are properly trained or know what you are doing and have the correct protection opening power bricks is NEVER a good idea.

A (magnetic) transformer does not hold any charge. By definition. These power supplies are "switching power supplies" and as thus, have phantom loads to keep them at stable frequency when on light loads or no load. That discharges any output capacitors inside. Input capacitors are discharged with parallel resistors that also serve as voltage divider. In any case, I'd discharge capacitors before touching the board with my bare hands, just in case.

jonnylink

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
WHOA - bad idea - the transformer itself hold some charge for a fair while after it is unplugged...
I agree that it is a bad idea to try and fix it yourself without the knowhow, but there isn't a dangerous charge left in there after a few minutes. Transformers don't hold power, capacitors do. Most transformers don't have capacitors and while I can't say for certain there isn't one in the Apple charger, I'd bet there isn't (not a recommendation to screw around with one. ever). Capacitors can and should be discharged when ever working with electronics.

EDIT: looks like I got beat to saying this. should have refreshed after walking away from computer.

oh and I wanted to add that exposed wires are dangerous. Mine had the same problem and even knowing this I choose to ignore it for a few days. Well the mag end of the charger started to melt. Apple replaced it for free. Call Apple and ask them to replace it, if they say no tell them you think it might be dangerous but you'll keep using it since you don't have the cash right now to replace it. They won't want that. This is their problem, the adapters weren't designed very well beyond the neat magnate.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
This thing was bought 1 yr 2 months ago. Apple service hotline says they cant help because it's not covered by warranty. Apple service providers say no because Apple says no. Is there a way to get this thing repaired, even if it cost good money?

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
If it costs "good money" to get it repaired, just replace it. Yeah those things are pricey, but unless you can get apple to replace it for you, you may as well buy a new one instead of paying to get the broken one fixed.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
Read this, which i found in a german apple forum (sorry english folks)

->
In germany, besides the warranty (1 year applecare), you have something called "gewährleistung" which lasts 2 years (prescribed by german law). The problem with the "gewährleistung" is (if apple denies service) that apple only in the first 6 months has to prove that you caused the problem BUT after that (for 18 months) you have to prove, apple has caused the problem.

So in your case (over a year), apple's warranty is over and you have to prove that the broken magsafe adapter was apple's fault to get it repaired/replaced for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.