Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frqunzfltr

Cancelled
Original poster
May 5, 2023
I went to a local electronics store and bought a MagSafe charger. It's the model number A2140. Then I remembered this article...

...which says that there's a newer model with the number A2548 from September 2021.

I don't think the one I bought was laying around in that store for 1,5 years. So I wonder what's going on here.

They're a little date printed on the labels of Apple boxes lately, which looks like 01/2022 or 07/2023. Is this the manufacturing date? If so, my charger was made in 08/2022 but still has the model number A2140. Is the A2548 just for the US (I'm in Europe)? My charger came with a firmware version pre-installed which got released in December 2021, according to MacRumors, which was still the current version in 08/2022.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Wow OP joined and quickly cancelled....

If I remember, it was something about modifying the MagSafe cable to utilize rapid charging from non-Apple chargers. I tried a quick search and got nothing so... take this as a grain of salt.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Wow OP joined and quickly cancelled....

If I remember, it was something about modifying the MagSafe cable to utilize rapid charging from non-Apple chargers. I tried a quick search and got nothing so... take this as a grain of salt.
I always wondered what the "cancelled" meant, whether it had to do with Macrumors "cancelling" them or themselves doing it :)

How do I find out what model Magsafe charger I have? I no longer have the box and I don't see any revealing writing on the puck itself.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I always wondered what the "cancelled" meant, whether it had to do with Macrumors "cancelling" them or themselves doing it :)

How do I find out what model Magsafe charger I have? I no longer have the box and I don't see any revealing writing on the puck itself.
Good question - absolutely no idea. I ended up donating mine to family. Probably no way to find out :p

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I recall the MagSafe puck had a firmware some time back. Maybe that made all versions fast-chargeable with any 15W+ adapter? Oh well...hard to say....

Reactions: BigMcGuire

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
I presume/hope official Apple stores only sell the newer A2548 model because I'm probably going to buy one soon. But two things I don't like about the Apple MagSafe charger: the cable is still plastic rather than braided like the new Apple charge cables, and it only comes in length of 1m

Couldn't Apple add a USB-C port to the puck and just sell the puck on its own (USD $25), then we could pair it with a 1m (USD $19) or 2m (USD $29) braided USB-C charge cable?

Reactions: Synomenon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.