Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dr.wong

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
I'm in the UK. I use an iPhone 12 Pro, and my wife uses an iPhone 12 Pro Max.

We visited Amsterdam some time ago, and our iPhones charged using the MagSafe chargers the first night. After the second night however, we woke up to dead iPhones (they had not charged overnight). We could only get them charing again using lightning.

We returned to the UK, and my MagSafe charger worked fine again. My wife's however still refused to charge. She abandoned it for a few weeks in favour of lightning and then tried again. All of a sudden it was working.

We visited Amsterdam again last week and the same thing happened with the chargers. This time however, her charger is fine and mine is not working.

We've tried hard resets, with and without the case etc. I've narrowed the issue down to the actual MagSafe cable. My iPhone charges just fine using my wife's MagSafe charger, and swapping our the AC bricks shows that my cable is the common denominator. I have another MagSafe charger stand on my desk and my phone works perfectly well on that as well.

I'm trying my wife's initial solution of "abandoning" the charger for a while. I'm not sure if there may have been a residual charge buildup or some such that needs to dissipate.

Any ideas?

• Wow
Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
That’s interesting. According to Google, Amsterdam has the same voltage and frequency for electricity in the UK. I wonder if the local power had some sort of surge that messed with it but I don’t understand why it would just start working again.

It’s crazy because these things are like computers so maybe some type of protection tripped. They get firmware updates.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Too many variables we do not know about that you failed to disclose in your original post such as are both magsafe charges Apple originals? are both magsafe chargers the same model? are the mains plug Apple original? are they both the same model?

Mezoxin

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
What did tou travel by ? Airplane ? , metal detectors sometimes do funny things to electronics, thats why its always better to empty all electronics from ur pockets before going through the metal detectors and put them through the x-ray machine

dr.wong

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
Too many variables we do not know about that you failed to disclose in your original post such as are both magsafe charges Apple originals? are both magsafe chargers the same model? are the mains plug Apple original? are they both the same model?
All original Apple gear and purchased at the same time.
What did tou travel by ? Airplane ? , metal detectors sometimes do funny things to electronics, thats why its always better to empty all electronics from ur pockets before going through the metal detectors and put them through the x-ray machine
By airplane, but the chargers all worked until the mysterious issue occurred whilst in Amsterdam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.