Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richy d

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
Hi, I’ve been exclusiely using magsafe charging with my iphone 12 mini that I bought a few months after launch. My battery health has dropped to 90% (previous phones Ive had would normally have much better health for this length of use). I dont leave the phone on the charger much longer. than necessary (I have the charger plugged into a socket that allows my set on and off times).

Wanted to see if the culprit of drop in health was magsafe, or something specifically with iphone 12 minis (my previous phone was an SE2 and the health held up much better).

Thanks

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
My honest opinion is it’s something with the batteries. Maybe you used the phone more than you use to as well. My launch day 12pm, which was charged mainly using MagSafe was at 87% when I got my 13pm. I have a friend who has a 12pm that’s at 88% and one at 90% and they both charge only by lightning.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
There’s suspicion that wireless charging accelerates battery aging but there isn’t a side by side scientific test anyone has shown that can confirm it. It’s all anecdotal.
If it’s any consolation, Apple wouldn’t put out a charging system that thrashed the battery.
Wireless charging could conceivably cause a little more degradation compared to wired charging due to increased heat, but after two years, the difference between the two likely wouldn’t be that much

Bacasable

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2021
France
my wife has a 12 mini, charge it every night by MagSafe, has a case on it and it battery health have fall to 82% ? crazy !
At one time I hoped it drop until 80% to change the battery freely by apple

• Wow
Reactions: caligurl

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
This has been discussed quite a bit before, with inconclusive results:

If it helps to have one more data point: I just traded in my 12 Pro Max, and I was at 98/99 battery health after a year of charging with MagSafe almost every night for a year.

Personally, I never worry about battery health. If I trade the phone in after 1-2 years, it's someone else's problem. And if I decide to keep it for many years, battery replacements are simple, quick, and reasonably priced.

1CaesaR1

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2020
Funny thing is that I had been avoiding getting Magsafe because of the possibility of battery degrading. I have had my 12 Pro since middle of October last year so almost a year. My battery health was 100% up until 2 days ago. I finally thought let me try Magsafe and got one. Charged it 2 times with Magsafe in the last couple of days. Checked battery health last night and it is 99% :eek:. I am sure it has nothing to do with Magsafe as my battery health was probably due to drop down to below 100% after having it for almost a year, but it was such a strange coincidence.

xjames

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Brazil
I've been charging my iPhone X wirelessly for 4 years, tho its not magsafe. I try to charge once a day only but lately sometimes I gotta do a charge after work if I'm going out or something.

My battery shows max capacity at 85% which aint bad for 4 years of use.

I should get my 13 pro in a few days (yay)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.