Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
0.7 oz instead of 1.0 oz for the regular MagSafe pop socket, and I can feel a lot more of the case instead of that long bottom chin

Magnet feels as strong if not stronger :D

Attachments

• tempImageMTAxqe.png
    tempImageMTAxqe.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 537

walds11

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2010
I ordered one of these for my 15 Pro. I am really looking forward to using it with my Pitaka MagEZ Case 4.

Is the magnetic adapter ring required?

Last edited:

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I have used the pill shaped Popsocket for the life of my 14 Pro and can’t live without it now. I had no idea they had released a round one. Ordered and can’t wait to use it.

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
There’s a round one? Huh, that explains why I was able to get the bigger oval one on sale. I am enjoying it, even though I didn’t expect to

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I have used the pill shaped Popsocket for the life of my 14 Pro and can’t live without it now. I had no idea they had released a round one. Ordered and can’t wait to use it.

It’s pretty new afaik

I ordered one of these for my 15 Pro. I am really looking forward to using it with my Pitaka MagEZ Case 4.

Is the magnetic adapter ring required?
No that’s only if you dont have a MagSafe iPhone (or I guess theoretically an iPhone with MagSafe but not a MagSafe compatible case)

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
This requires a case to work, yeah? I have the pill shaped model and it adds way too much bulk with a case. I could probably swing keeping a Pro Max over the Pro if I could use this popsocket without a case to add even more footprint.

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
I used the previous model for my 13 PM and 14PM. As soon as I saw they have new models I ordered 2 of them.
I am so happy with it. Best Phone Grip ever.

ryansebiz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
Awesome! I got the pill version for my daughter’s iPhone 13 but will also order this round version and return the one she likes least. Thanks!

andresandiego

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
San Diego, Ca
This requires a case to work, yeah? I have the pill shaped model and it adds way too much bulk with a case. I could probably swing keeping a Pro Max over the Pro if I could use this popsocket without a case to add even more footprint.
If your phone has MagSafe, no case needed. That’s how I am using it with iPhone 15 Pro

NeonIbis

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2020
If your phone has MagSafe, no case needed. That’s how I am using it with iPhone 15 Pro
That’s interesting. Does it hold securely, without your hand supporting the phone as well? At any angle? I have absolute faith in the original popsocket adhesive - I have one stuck on a TPU case and I can’t budge it even if I try! But I worry the magnet would choose the worst possible moment to fail…

andresandiego

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
San Diego, Ca
That’s interesting. Does it hold securely, without your hand supporting the phone as well? At any angle? I have absolute faith in the original popsocket adhesive - I have one stuck on a TPU case and I can’t budge it even if I try! But I worry the magnet would choose the worst possible moment to fail…
The magnet is quite strong. It takes a great deal of force to remove it. It has never fallen off and I completely trust it won’t. I trust the magnet more than I trusted the adhesive one I had for older phones years ago.

NeonIbis

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2020
Thank you both! That’s very helpful to know. I will try to get hold of one. I always plug in to charge so I don’t actually need to remove the pop socket, but this opens up various possibilities, including silicone cases and no case.

Reactions: andresandiego

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
The magnet is quite strong. It takes a great deal of force to remove it. It has never fallen off and I completely trust it won’t. I trust the magnet more than I trusted the adhesive one I had for older phones years ago.

agreed, my initial thought was at least as strong but no its definitely stronger

not that I ever really had an issue with the original pill shaped one in that regard, but stronger is good

Reactions: andresandiego

andresandiego

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
San Diego, Ca
Thank you both! That’s very helpful to know. I will try to get hold of one. I always plug in to charge so I don’t actually need to remove the pop socket, but this opens up various possibilities, including silicone cases and no case.
Yeah I plug my phone in as well to charge. What’s cool about having the popsocket on while charging is that you can use the phone in stand by mode. Just prop it up on its side. I have been going without a case lately and having the popsocket on gives me more confidence that I won’t drop the phone.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Can anyone who has one comment on how well it works as a stand with a Pro Max? I’ve tried OtterPop cases in the past, and the Pop would never do an adequate job of propping the phone up in landscape.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.