Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiredStone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2023
Hi everyone!

Newbie here

I’m going to be making the move from my trusty XR ( which to be fair is still going strong and is being handed down to one of my kids) to the 15 Pro (regular, not max).

I’ve seen some ‘concerns’ cropping up around the battery life of this model.

5 days out of 7, battery won’t be an issue because I’ll (sadly!) either be in the office or WFH so I can charge if needed.

However on the weekends I do like to get out for long days with the kids and I would use Apple Maps when driving, and take a lot of photos / video.

So I’m thinking about picking up some sort of MagSafe power bank as a back up ( I only found out about wireless power banks recently and think it’s a great idea).

But how safe are they? Could I charge one and then keep it in my car all the time in case of emergencies? Or is this going to be a risk?

Any other opinions on the battery life of the 15 pro would be appreciated too!

Thanks 🙂

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
As long as the accessory is MFi certified, you will be fine. I would not keep a power bank in the car. Excess or cold is not good for batteries.

I have an Apple Battery pack from my 14 Pro use and it also works for my 15 Pro. Good item to have.

Reactions: TiredStone

TiredStone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2023
As long as the accessory is MFi certified, you will be fine. I would not keep a power bank in the car. Excess or cold is not good for batteries.

I have an Apple Battery pack from my 14 Pro use and it also works for my 15 Pro. Good item to have.
Thanks for the reply! I live in Northern Ireland so heat usually isn’t an issue 😂

But I see what you’re saying.

As long as I can safely keep a charged one in the car on a day out then it should be an ideal solution 👍

Reactions: fullauto

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I brought both an Apple MagSafe Battery and a regular fast-charging power bank from Anker with me on a 6-day city trip. I have an iPhone 13 mini. I ended up using the regular power bank three or four times total, MagSafe Battery wasn't used at all. MagSafe does offer convenience, but the power bank is much faster (20W vs 7.5W in my case) and holds a lot more capacity (keep in mind you lose some capacity because of the inefficiency of wireless charging).

Also the MagSafe Battery in particular does not always charge the phone at full 7.5W speeds, often dialling down due to heat or because it somehow thinks the phone doesn't need charging at current level. However there may be better alternatives (and the Apple model isn't being sold anymore).

Maybe a regular powerbank is just fine. I would first try and see if the battery life is actually an issue for you as every user is different.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I have a MagSafe puck velcroed in my car, so that it stays charged when using CarPlay for maps, etc - personally, I've found that to be "Good enough" to just charge the phone in the car & then the battery lasts as long as I need it to when out of the car. But of course everyone's needs are different. If I did need auxiliary power when out & about, a MagSafe battery pack seems like the best solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.