Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asteeper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
Looking to order a new MBP and would like to figure out how I could hook it up to my Thunderbolt display.

I know I'll need the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 for video but I'm really going to miss the ability to use the magsafe power included in the displays cable...

Does anyone know if any legitimate option like the following exists?

https://www.amazon.com/HIOTECH-MagSafe-Adapter-Converter-Connector/dp/B0167WMHP0

Attachments

• 31c1ll24g9L.jpg
    31c1ll24g9L.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 455

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
The griffin one only works for power i believe, it won't carry a data signal. Though I've got to ask, what setup are you using that you need magsafe for a monitor?

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
He uses the MagSafe connector coming from his thunderbolt display to charge his MacBook. In that way you only need one power cable (the one for the display)

asteeper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2016
87W USB-C Power Adapter

- Not looking for a usb-c magsafe type cable. I'm looking for an adaptor from apple's magsafe to usb-c.

The griffin one only works for power i believe, it won't carry a data signal. Though I've got to ask, what setup are you using that you need magsafe for a monitor?

see @Cremerhm comment.

He uses the MagSafe connector coming from his thunderbolt display to charge his MacBook. In that way you only need one power cable (the one for the display)

Totally right.

Attached is Apples thunderbolt displays amazing 2 in one cable that I'm looking to connect to. Clearly I'd need Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor to display video but I'm looking for an option to use the build in magsafe. Its either that or I'll need to purchase a second usb-c cable and 87W USB-C Power Adapter (one for work and one for home) which I really prefer to avoid.

Attachments

• screen-shot-2011-07-20-at-8-51-04-am.png
    screen-shot-2011-07-20-at-8-51-04-am.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 874

phloo

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
+1

I want to use my current power adapter at home and the new one in the office.
Buying a second one is just too pricey... with all the dongles I need, too.

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
I'm also looking for a USB-C adapter that would allow me to use my MagSafe rMBP adapters rather than having to purchase new ones for my rMBP 2016 13" model coming in two weeks. I've got two or three MagSafe adapters from previous models that I don't want to throw away if I can help it. Add to that the practicality of a magnetic connector to the USB-C port, and we'd have an optimal alternative for those looking for ways to re-use their old adapters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.