Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys, just wondering how likely it would be for people to port google maps and Mail from the iPhone to the new iPod touch?
This would be a pretty killer move.

cheers.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Should work, same hardware and operating system. We'll see...

First it needs to be jailbroken. ;)

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I guess this would be good for those not wanting to shell out for an iPhone and service from AT&T. Had I had a choice between the iPhone and Touch when the iPhone came out, I still would have gone for the iPhone. I need the EDGE connection no matter how slow. I'm out a bunch of the time, and WiFi is hard to get a hold of ... unless you are at home or in the office.

As for Google Maps, you can still visit the webpage. And same for email.

Vaphoron

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2004
Maryland
iPod touch also needs Notes too, what an oversight to not include notes in the touch.

I know!! I'm seriously not going to buy it for this reason alone. I use the notes feature on my iPod Nano all the time for things like to do lists, grocery list, directions and so on.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I know!! I'm seriously not going to buy it for this reason alone. I use the notes feature on my iPod Nano all the time for things like to do lists, grocery list, directions and so on.

I'm hoping it won't be too long till the ipod gets hacked and apps will be able to be installed on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.