Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A1MB1G

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2020
Ever since upgrading to Sonoma, I've having an issue with new emails in the Mac Mail app where a blue dot appears indicating it's a newly received email. I click on the email and read it but the blue dot doesn't appear. It's only when I select a different email folder and go back to my inbox folder does the dot disappear.

I have Mail settings set so that unread messages are in bold. I click on an unread email, the bold text disappears but the blue dot persists until I switch folders and then go back to the inbox folder. Extremely frustrating. Anyone know of a fix for this issue?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Nope. This problem has been an inconsistent-but-recurring one since at least Monterrey. I consider it one of many macOS bugs that hopefully Apple will get around to fixing one of these days. I miss "just works" Apple.

My workaround when it shows itself is right click on the email and select "Mark as Read"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.