Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dav

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Any way to do this?

Have your email checked at a regular interval regardless of whether its open or not?

dav

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
And that will check it even when it is not running in my dock?

Bless your soul :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
dav said:

No. Mail needs to be running to check. There is no hidden system service that will do it (not as part of Mail, at least).

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
dav said:

Yeah, just leave it open. Perhaps you are under the windows mentality that it is bad to leave apps open.

You can set it to chime as well when new mail arrives.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
I use MacBiff for that purpose. It just sits in the menubar, and when I've got some mail, beeps and shows the number of new emails. Although you have to enter in your email server information, it doesn't get it from Mail.app, but it does support IMAP and POP, SSL, and multiple accounts.

dav

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Steven1621 said:
Yeah, just leave it open. Perhaps you are under the windows mentality that it is bad to leave apps open.

Somewhat :) I have 1.25 GB RAM so it shouldn't be a problem...

Maybe I am just a neat freak :rolleyes:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I just leave it open with the window closed so that all I see is the icon in the dock with a little arrow under it. If new mail comes, I get a pop sound and a highlighted number on the mail icon. It works really well and uses up practically no resources. :)

bubbamac

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2003
I hide it instead of minimizing, as was suggested earlier. Works well, Mail takes up almost NO processor while hidden.

Only bad thing - when composing a new message (from the dock), it automatically brings Mail to the front, although I don't want it to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.