Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the Natetrix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
NJ
Anyone know if and how I can get Mail.app to display e-mails in my Yahoo.mail acount? I got the Hotmail plugin (kicks ace btw) is there one for Yahoo or whats the deal on that?

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
A little help

I've gotten it to display my Yahoo messages, just not send them out. Make sure to put in your name and password. The incoming mail server is a POP3 and the incoming mail thingee needs to say smtp.youryahoodomain.yahoo.com

note- I use sbc yahoo, so the domain is sbcglobal, fill in your own.

I'm fairly new to Mail and POP3 clients in general. I still can't get outgoing mail to work, but that stuff is what I use to recieve it.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
King- sounds like an smtp problem...search your providers website for the proper SMTP server and your emails should be sent out fine. Or call them and ask for it

the Natetrix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
NJ
Re: A little help

The incoming mail server is a POP3 and the incoming mail thingee needs to say smtp.youryahoodomain.yahoo.com

How do I find out what my "youryahoodomain" is again? Im new to this whole thing myself

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
How do I find out what my "youryahoodomain" is again?

Got me there. I use sbcglobal, and that's that the example displayed. I guess I just got lucky there. Yahoo! Mail is not offically compatable with Mail yet, but the walk through for outlook express got the mail in for me. Good luck.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I use Yahoo.de (mainly because I've surprisingly get practically no spam even with Spam filters off) so I don't know if it'll be the same for you.

In your Yahoo prefs (the site were you check your mail, could be Options) there should be something about activating POP3 email. Well, it might be Yahoo or Lycos that does this, since I can't remember which.

After allowing POP3, I don't think you can check via the web anymore but such is life. Anyhoo...

Incoming : pop.mail.yahoo.de (yours will end in .com I imagine)
SMTP: Provided by your ISP

Thats about it... I think.

the Natetrix

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2003
NJ
Man it says its 19.99 a month to foward my mail to any apps that read POP mail - thats retarded

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
What did you expect? Yahoo offers a free web browser based email system. All of the others offer the same thing, if you want POP functionality, they charge for it. They make their money on advertising, the use of an email client means you don't see the ads and that means they don't make any money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.