Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikejboss1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
I'd like to have a shortcut when in Mail to display the Rules I have defined. I've opened App Shortcuts and can get part of the way there by creating a custom shortcut to get to the Mail Settings with:

Mail->Settings...

But how do I then select "Rules"? Nothing seems to work. I'm running MacOS 14.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
personally, i would just use the default "CMD + ," to get you into the settings of pretty much any App and leave the settings in the "Rules" tab, as many macOS apps will remember where you've been and bring you back to that last location.

this of course will not help you much though if you constantly need shortcuts for different settings tabs, but i don't think that switching tabs is actually that much of a hassle

mikejboss1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
Yes, I know the existing shortcut to any app's settings. But that's not the question.

It's no big deal for me to navigate to Rules if it isn't already selected. But in general, is the a way to select an option/sub-menu when in "Settings"?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm using an older version of Mail.app (with Mojave), but the problem is still the same.

That is:
There's no "direct keyboard command" to invoke the "Rules" pane.

You must first open Preferences/Settings, and THEN click the "Rules" pane to access it.

Although there IS a trick to create a keyboard shortcut for a "nested" menu
Example:
File->Export->Sub-item (must be no spaces between "->")

... the "Rules" pane isn't a "sub-menu", but a pane in another window.

So my GUESS is that you can't create a keyboard shortcut to invoke the "Rules" pane...

mikejboss1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
Thank you so much. I'm disappointed that I can't do what I wanted but I'm very happy to know that I can now stop looking for a solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.