Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manmit

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Has been waiting long for iOS mail app to push gmail. The fetch has new option called ‘automatically’. However the fetch of oush only works when iPhone is either powered on and on wifi. Can Apple be so dumb or am I missing something ? Why would not I expect automatic fetch when phone is locked or not on wifi.

skadoo323

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2013
Has been waiting long for iOS mail app to push gmail. The fetch has new option called ‘automatically’. However the fetch of oush only works when iPhone is either powered on and on wifi. Can Apple be so dumb or am I missing something ? Why would not I expect automatic fetch when phone is locked or not on wifi.

It works when charging your iOS device and connected to wifi.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Gmail is using its own version of push which differs from Microsoft exchange, so Apple isn’t supporting it at the moment. The current form of improved fetch is essentially your iOS device pinging the server continuously in search of new email, which can be taxing on both power and data. Hence the stipulation that it works only when your phone is plugged in and connected to data.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
I know this. So how is this any help? Expecting push only on power on and wifi is unrealistic.
If you don’t like the new “automatic” option, set it to a fetch schedule as was required in prior iOS versions. Or use the Gmail app from Google, which supports push capability.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If you don’t like the new “automatic” option, set it to a fetch schedule as was required in prior iOS versions. Or use the Gmail app from Google, which supports push capability.
I would personally like to have both. 15-min fetch normally, with souped-up fetch when charging.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Really.. ? I only have Gmail account set up on iOS 11.4.1 and i don't need to need to open Apple's Mail app anymore to check for new messages..

I thought Apple finally changed this, as i know before on iOS 10.3.3, it didn't function like this..

This was why everyone was saying "Use Gmail app" if you want it to fetch automatically. I'm on 4G, never use Wi-fi on iPhone I did reset as defaults but that's only because i wanted to start fresh with IOS 11.4.1..

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Google is the one that dropped support for Apple devices push several years ago other than for the business paid version of Gmail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.