Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyingpengWINs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
I only have about 55GB available to use since I bought the 64GB Iphone 6, however my mail app is taking up 6.8GB of my phone storage. I deleted all my emails and even deleted the accounts like many solutions said but my mail still takes up 6.8GB? HELP I don't know what to do :(

Jal217

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2015
Try syncing it to your computer. That often helps when stuff you deleted isn't actually reducing the amount your phone has stored. This works when messages still takes up too much space after deleting them.

flyingpengWINs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
Try syncing it to your computer. That often helps when stuff you deleted isn't actually reducing the amount your phone has stored. This works when messages still takes up too much space after deleting them.

Hello I synced it to my computer but nothing happened? and after updating my phone to IOS10 the mail app now takes up 7.34GB.

GreekFeeling

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2015
Aachen, Germany
I've got the same issue! My mail app uses 5,7 GB of Storage. I deleted all mail accounts, rebooted the phone. Readded my accounts but still it shows up 5,7 GB of storage used in my phone! latest iOS 10 Version running! I don't want to restore my phone. Can anyone help??

Attachments

• IMG_0619.PNG
    IMG_0619.PNG
    486.2 KB · Views: 891
Reactions: rmpbklyn

Cmdr Nudnik

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share that this worked for me on my iPad Air 2 running iOS 10.3.3. Instead of attempting to rent something, I went to the TV app and attempted to download one of my larger/longer digital movies (GotG2, CA:CW, etc.). Did that a couple of times, checked Storage in Settings, until Storage freed up from 632MB to 4.46GB.

Reactions: Russtopher

psdhali

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2017
I had the same issue. Below steps fixed it for me.

1 - removed all mail accounts - freed about 1 from 5 Gb
2 - used Dr clean and some other clean apps - freed few Mbs more - not sure this step was needed
3 - removed mail app and added it back again via App Store. This step freed half a gig
4 - repetated step 3 multiple times and in the end, to my surprise, space usage came down to 4.7 Mb!!!!
5 - added back all mail accounts

Reactions: Russtopher

robbotheking

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2018
Holy ish this worked on my wife's 5s. Weird trick but effective. Thanks !!
I had to create an account to thank you. Gone from less than 1 GB to over 7GB free. I exited iTunes as I thought it had frozen, and my phone displayed 'cleaning' in the background. Thanks.

Reactions: navier
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.