Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Anyone know why Gmail (in Mail) keeps asking me for my password from time to time on both my iPad and iPhone? It doesn't happen often. But it would happen sometimes, I would wait a few minutes, then it would work again. Sometimes it would also tell me it can't connect to gmail. That's the case when I haven't used the device for long (over night for example). Then I have to wait a while and it would work again. Annoying…

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Anyone know why Gmail (in Mail) keeps asking me for my password from time to time on both my iPad and iPhone? It doesn't happen often. But it would happen sometimes, I would wait a few minutes, then it would work again. Sometimes it would also tell me it can't connect to gmail. That's the case when I haven't used the device for long (over night for example). Then I have to wait a while and it would work again. Annoying…
I've seen that too and think it is during times when gmail goes down temporarily.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I've seen that too and think it is during times when gmail goes down temporarily.

That would be too often if you ask me, I don't think Gmail is down that often. I would rather think it has something to do with authentication maybe, especially when you have two step authentication enabled or whatever it's called. I think Google's system isn't really 100% compatible with Mail. :(

pixelatedscraps

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Hong Kong
I've been using Gmail and G Suite (formerly Google Apps) for email and domain services for 3-4 years and have experienced this issue about 3 times in this period, the most recent being last week.

It only ever causes problems with Apple Mail on iOS or desktop. Neither google or Apple are able to provide solutions as each blame each other for causing it (hours of tech support calls go in circles, trust me).

Whenever it happens now, I know to either log in to gmail.com on safari or use the Gmail app on iOS and it works perfectly.

Annoying? Yes. Resolved? Not really, and I have tried practically everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.