Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I often have an incorrect badge count on Mail. I have an iPhone 7 and an iPad 6th generation, which only have 2 GB of RAM. I’m just wondering if any of you with newer devices that have more RAM also have badge count problems.

I have push-enabled IMAP with Fastmail. On the latest beta, but had the same problem on iOS 13.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
I don’t see how an error in counting unread email could be related in any way to the amount of RAM in the device.
It’s a bug that has been present in iOS since the first iOS 13 betas for me.

Reactions: BadMelonFarmer

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
I don’t see how an error in counting unread email could be related in any way to the amount of RAM in the device.
It’s a bug that has been present in iOS since the first iOS 13 betas for me.
I would agree because it worked fine in iOS 12. But I’m just wondering if poor RAM management or lack of enough RAM may be causing Mail to fail to download new messages in the background.

If anyone has a newer device and the same problem, I’d like to know.

Reactions: mikiotty

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It’s more like IMAP protocol or the way mail app handles IMAP changed, which affects certain providers. I dont see incorrect count. Yes I do have 4GB ram devices but I doubt that matters.

Reactions: thewhitehart

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I would agree because it worked fine in iOS 12. But I’m just wondering if poor RAM management or lack of enough RAM may be causing Mail to fail to download new messages in the background.

If anyone has a newer device and the same problem, I’d like to know.
RAM wouldn't really be related to downloading new messages and badges aren't really tied to something being downloaded (in the background or otherwise). It seems like the issue would likely be elsewhere.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Thank you. The more I hear from developers and people who know about RAM management could lead people who have the same problem to a potential resolution to this issue.

I wish Apple would listen.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Interesting

since latest public beta my Mail badge has been randomly showing number 9. Going into the app and back out it disappears. This seems to be connected to my iCloud account and not my others.
Must be a bug

BadMelonFarmer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2010
North Somerset
It’s a bug since iOS 13 Beta 1, when I had an iPhone XS Max, now on an 11Pro Max, fresh install.... same issue.

I have given feedback many many times, I have been in contact with escalated support, sending logs ... fresh builds etc.

in the end they sent all the info to the dev team who acknowledged the issue and said they would work on the fix, but could give no timescales, this was back in January 2020.

I have given up, they clearly don’t want to fix the issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.